Encouraging Trochus snails to breed?

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 20, 2014
Messages
1,866
Reaction score
2,305
Location
Reseda, California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I’d ask you guys. I know many times trochus spawn in the tank randomly, mine do too. However, I was wondering if these guys can be encouraged to breed just like most other snails with the abundance of food. I was thinking of putting them into my sump and giving them a lot of nori.

Not sure if anyone tried that, or has any other suggestions.
 
By chance, do you know what species you're working with (i.e. the scientific name)?

If not, you may be able to encourage/induce spawning through heavy, nutritious feeding and/or through some other cue (from what I've seen, feeding plenty is pretty much always a good idea if you want spawning):
Some things that can impact/trigger spawning include light schedule, light spectrum and intensity, temperature changes (both rapid - i.e. temperature shock - and slow), moon phases, tides, water conditions (i.e. calm water, stormy water, etc.), salinity, chemical cues, seasons, dessication, flooding, etc. - if you can figure out which cues are important for this species, that would be a great first step toward rearing them.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 34.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 23 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.6%
Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new