OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take picture after its open in my tank, I just gave it a small surgery to cut a small piece of rock that went into it byssal hole so it take sometime to pull and hold at safe distance to cut the thread without damage it foot, I just want to remove that rock so it would take a hold at new place other than that the small piece of rock will cause the unbalance and its might fall from the rock work.
*I did take extra careful to investigated for pyramid snail since I keep seeing folks reported and dead clams with those mini monster recently. I think these LFS getting their clams from reputable whole sale so there is no snail on their clams, so I hope all my clams are free from those monster snails.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised, here is a picture. It's not full wide open yet but open up and adjusting to my light intensity.
New clam.jpg

The pattern look like a set of blue thunder lightning :)

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue thunder maxima! Looks sweet yuki.

Very nice maxima!
Thank you!
Remember those clams I was asked about their healthiness almost 2 months ago (under "New Clams at LFS" thread)?
I came back to that LFS and check them out, this one is one of a few clams that still look healthy and fully open in their clams tank, other clams are bleached and some on the way out due to lack of light, this one was right under Radion LED so it's getting enough light compare to other one that far out the edge of light, so I'm able to make a deal with the onwer and paid $69 bucks for it. I was bragging him about the "effect" of Black Friday deal weekend and he took the bait. :)

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
Remember those clams I was asked about their healthiness almost 2 months ago (under "New Clams at LFS" thread)?
I came back to that LFS and check them out, this one is one of a few clams that still look healthy and fully open in their clams tank, other clams are bleached and some on the way out due to lack of light, this one was right under Radion LED so it's getting enough light compare to other one that far out the edge of light, so I'm able to make a deal with the onwer and paid $69 bucks for it. I was bragging him about the "effect" of Black Friday deal weekend and he took the bait. :)
Wow 69$! I wish we could get a clam over here for that price and size. I miss our clams:(. I guess I will just have to keep looking at all yours until then :)

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This clam definitely enjoy my light intensity lol
At this time all other clams are finished photosynthesis and retracted mantle at minimal appearance and this clam still open up to get more light, it's sure very HUNGRY but at least now its in a small clam world heaven! Be well and enjoy while you in my tank clams :p

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Your tank must be too clean for the Xenia.
My Xenia are dying off, started last night and I already saw the water current tearing the colony down piece by piece, these clams really darn good filtering thing out of my water, GSP still look good but not spreading either and content on its own rock (2x4 inches area colony).

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Xenia are dying off, started last night and I already saw the water current tearing the colony down piece by piece, these clams really darn good filtering thing out of my water, GSP still look good but not spreading either and content on its own rock (2x4 inches area colony).
Id would check your nutrients in the tank. Xenia need them. I've only killled them with ultra low ones.
I belive you do a lot of water changes.

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id would check your nutrients in the tank. Xenia need them. I've only killled them with ultra low ones.
I belive you do a lot of water changes.
I'm back to weekly water change to keep my tank a bit "dirty" for them and I'm over feeding my tank too but seem like these clams getting stronger and stronger lol
*I'm also only wash my filter mechanical when it's started to clog and reduced the flow to avoid stripping out too much nutrition from my water. Anyway, I'm seeing this coming when I didn't see them spreading that's why I'm asking for coral that utilizing light, cal, and alk to grow so I can get them thrive along with my clams...I'm still waiting my LFS for those encrusting montipora hehehe
**Also, like I said my last resort is just let coraline taking over since its grow darn well and appearing everywhere on tank walls, rock works, clams shell (I love those that grow on clams shell cause its nice purple patch) and they are covering the tank bottom rocks too.

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm back to weekly water change to keep my tank a bit "dirty" for them and I'm over feeding my tank too but seem like these clams getting stronger and stronger lol
*I'm also only wash my filter mechanical when it's started to clog and reduced the flow to avoid stripping out too much nutrition from my water. Anyway, I'm seeing this coming when I didn't see them spreading that's why I'm asking for coral that utilizing light, cal, and alk to grow so I can get them thrive along with my clams...I'm still waiting my LFS for those encrusting montipora hehehe
**Also, like I said my last resort is just let coraline taking over since its grow darn well and appearing everywhere on tank walls, rock works, clams shell (I love those that grow on clams shell cause its nice purple patch) and they are covering the tank bottom rocks too.
Excellent to hear!

evreything does need a bit of n/p to use the light cal and alk. And some more than others. It's just finding that balance of the four that tiles the time and patience.

I have a coral qt with sand and rock, I put in a little bit of everything , gsp , xena , zoas plays and sps, just to see what would happen to them. No fish no feeding.
The "tank" alone eats through the nutrients really really fast.

Took months to see the results.

The tank got to a point that the Xenia would die almost immediately from the low nutrients, some of the sps took longer. Gsp the longest.

So I'm sure you'll def find the sweet spot. Mainly because you're looking for it.

needbiggertanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Yuki Rihwa

I think it'd be really interesting if you started a thread of your alk and calcium test results. It would be cool to see how fast those clams are utilizing it.

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kinda shocked that 1 day completely look healthy and strong then next day it is dead....
Xenia Healthy Picture Below!
11-Nov Update (2).jpg

Just matter of hours and its become this....
1.jpg

The other colony from other side has same fate!
2.jpg

You can set half of the GSP rock at the back still look healthy but STOPPED growing for last few weeks.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kinda shocked that 1 day completely look healthy and strong then next day it is dead....
Xenia Healthy Picture Below!
11-Nov Update (2).jpg

Just matter of hours and its become this....
1.jpg

The other colony from other side has same fate!
2.jpg

You can set half of the GSP rock at the back still look healthy but STOPPED growing for last few weeks.
That is wild.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back