Encrusting red organism

RubyU235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone take a guess at what this is?

I had a small single level frag plug sheet that I 3D printed that I only kept Zoas on. (I have made a lot of purchases from WWC.) About a month ago I replaced it with a nice rack but in doing so I had a ton of Zoas that had made their way onto to rack so I had to chop the rack up (it was only about 3-5mm thick). As I was cutting it apart I noticed a small, eraser head sized, round, patch of red that had encrusted a portion of the PETG material. I cut it out and put it on a plug.

Fast forward a few months and it has grown to about 2cm. Doesn’t appear to be bothering anything, and isn’t anywhere else in my tank that I can see. The rack it came from was always very close to the sandbed. It’s not fleshy, soft to touch, not rough, has a bumpy texture (not reflective of the 3D print layer lines, not to mention it has well outgrown the border of material it was harvested from)

Tank is somewhere between 1 and 2 years old. I have never been able to get coralline algae to encrust the glass and that’s despite using live coralline to seed. I’m pretty sure my rocks have a good culture of it though.

(The other organism bordering it is zoa flesh that is reviving from laying in the sand bed… I have a pink smiths damsel that is very territorial of the frag rack and occasionally it kicks plugs out of the rack into the sand… I’m retrofitting my rack with 3D printer flexible materials to create “keepers” to prevent them from being ejected by the damsel )

Lastly, Tang Gang picture just because (bristletooth just out of frame.)

IMG_8960.jpeg

IMG_8967.jpeg

IMG_9010.jpeg

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe coraline tbh though i thought possible chalice but dont see any eye definition and the way its encrusting makes me think otherwise...the bumps are what throwing me off....is it hard or soft when touching?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 56 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back