Engineer Goby suddenly out and active?

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am probably a bit paranoid since changes in fish behavior usually tells me something's wrong.

My engineer goby is around 7-8 years old. Ever since he transitioned to his final form, he hid under the rocks and barely comes out, only enough to eat and at nights. For the past week he's been out a lot circling the tank during the day. He's out almost 80% of the time now, he doesn't hide when I approach the tank as he usually did before. He doesn't seem stressed, breathing is normal. I love seeing him out, he's become a favorite among friends and family with the eel-like body.

Everything his healthy. Test params are normal.

Of course, a lot of my fish are up there in age, 7-8 years old.

Just a bit of peace of mind?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am probably a bit paranoid since changes in fish behavior usually tells me something's wrong.

My engineer goby is around 7-8 years old. Ever since he transitioned to his final form, he hid under the rocks and barely comes out, only enough to eat and at nights. For the past week he's been out a lot circling the tank during the day. He's out almost 80% of the time now, he doesn't hide when I approach the tank as he usually did before. He doesn't seem stressed, breathing is normal. I love seeing him out, he's become a favorite among friends and family with the eel-like body.

Everything his healthy. Test params are normal.

Of course, a lot of my fish are up there in age, 7-8 years old.

Just a bit of peace of mind?
That’s interesting, although this is way out in the blue is it maybe due to something annually like breeding or migration? I know it’s out in the blue as you’ve had it for 7-8 years but maybe he only recently matured?
I had mine for 2 years, juvenile to transitional adult (I think he did actually transition to adult towards the end before hypothermia got to him).

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting, although this is way out in the blue is it maybe due to something annually like breeding or migration? I know it’s out in the blue as you’ve had it for 7-8 years but maybe he only recently matured?
I had mine for 2 years, juvenile to transitional adult (I think he did actually transition to adult towards the end before hypothermia got to him).

Huh, maybe? I don't know a lot about fish habits and such, I'll see if I can research mating/migration habits. That's a good thought!

He transitioned to adult within a year, it was quick with him

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back