Engineering Goby

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on disease or injury? I vote injury.
IMG_1481233554.494628.jpg

IMG_1481233564.709922.jpg

My tank has been thru some stress lately with my 110 sump fail.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be injury with severe swelling and some infection. You can dose Epsom salt to reduce the swelling some.
Epsom Salt: Treats eye and other injuries. Popeye in one eye usually means injury, but popeye in both eyes usually denotes a bacterial infection requiring antibiotic treatment. Cloudy eye can be a bacterial infection or flukes.

How To Treat - 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of aquarium water. Repeat only once, if necessary. Use only “USP” grade Epsom salt.

Pros - Reef safe, as Epsom salt is just magnesium sulfate.

Cons/Side Effects - The effects of excessive sulfate in a reef aquarium are not fully known.

Is he still eating? Acting normally? No other damage to the body or fins?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting.
Eating normal. No other damage to its fins or body from what I can see.

Looks like he got his face smashed. Try the epsom salt for now. If he doesn't start looking better in a couple days you may need to treat in QT with antibiotics. Def add vitamins in his food (Selcon, Vitachem as examples) to help boost his immune system

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the picture good or should I try for some more angles?

It's a heck of a lot better than most pictures I get. lol I stand by my "diagnosis" and treatment plan. If your worried you can put him in QT now and start with the antibiotics and epsom salt there. Totally fine to do that. Just be sure you treat for at least 10 days even if he looks better by then.... and remember that it may take longer than that to heal completely.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second the Epsom salt treatment. I used it in the DT to help an anthias with pop-eye from a wound. One dose and a bit over a week later, the fish looked much better. No noticeable impact on the reef.

(Note that I add VitaChem to my food-slurry, so that was part of my treatment.)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI. Fish is in the same condition as yesterday. With that said I haven't tried treatment yet.

Probably a good idea to try at least the epsom salt. Let us know how that goes :)

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry for your loss. what did you end up using to treat him with?
Its okay. I didn't end up using Epsom. I am not a fan of adding anything other then Kent marine salt when doing water changes. I don't dose anything. My thought was if the water quality was good, and the fish ate good, all would be good. But it wasn't. The injury was pretty bad. I don't think it would have survive with any intervention I would have done.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its okay. I didn't end up using Epsom. I am not a fan of adding anything other then Kent marine salt when doing water changes. I don't dose anything. My thought was if the water quality was good, and the fish ate good, all would be good. But it wasn't. The injury was pretty bad. I don't think it would have survive with any intervention I would have done.

You'll never know. [emoji17]

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya.
I don't have any pictures, but it got much worse, then started to get better. That is until yesterday when I seen it in the sand bed not moving.
Part of the hobby I suppose.

That's because it was infected and needed medication. I'm sorry for the loss though. :(

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back