Entire Apex System Fried

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Jay B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a valid point. I would also add that companies that make and sell electronics don't really want to be in the repair business. They have to because customers expect proper product support, which includes both warranty and out of warranty repair services. Otherwise, their real cash cow is selling the product itself, which has much higher profit margins than the repair. Notice that car manufacturers don't do car repairs themselves for example. Apple, Dell and Lenovo contract out their repair services to a third party in TX, etc.

That's why their repair costs are so high. First, they are not set up to do the repairs at scale. Second, they are not particularly focused or motivated on making it profitable by lowering costs. And why should they? They would much rather sell you a new product than keep repairing the old one. Customers come to them by default because it's their product that failed. They can command any repair costs as they want to motivate buying new gear anyway.

All of this, while the manufacturer has no R&D costs related to the repairs themselves. They already have all of the schematics, firmware, testing/diagnostics processes and the existing parts supply chain. Most of what I had to develop from scratch.

Yes, I do this mostly because I enjoy doing it, to keep my skills sharp and get a satisfaction from helping fellow reefers and keeping expensive hardware out of landfills. But I do run it as a business, pay taxes on everything and keep it profitable even at the rate that I charge. I still have to charge for it because of my own expenses in time, parts, tools, supplies, etc. And the end cost is still lower than what the manufacturer charges. Because once you've invested in setting it up and learning the hardware, the actual repair labor is very reasonable.
I think you also use more robust components than the manufacturer where practical. I know my EB832 is great now with the work you did to it.

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I haven’t posted in a very long time as life has been keeping me too busy but just wanted to share as a PSA in case anyone deals with this and as a word of caution…not trying to bash anyone because things happen but it’s upsetting never the less.

My Apex setup:
Apex 2016
EB832, EB8 (black), EB8 (orange)
DOS (set for AWC of about 10 gal per day)
COR20 Return
WMX (controlled MP40’s x2, XR15’s x2 XR30)
FMM x2 (multiple leak detectors, flow meters, optical sensor monitors)
Trident (connected via 1Link to EB832)

Other equipment:
Pax Bellum
Bubble Magus Curve Skimmer
Carbon Reactor
CO2 Reactor
MP40 x2
Icecap 3k Gyre
XR15 x2
XR30
T5’s x4
Finnex Heater
GHL Doser

So it all started last weekend when I went to change the reagent on the Trident, it was around 7pm. As soon as I pulled the tray out, it must’ve loosened the 1Link cable. I saw it spark and literally that same second, the entire Apex system went down. The EB832 started flashing white and then both of the EB8’s started clicking repeatedly (like every few seconds). There was a strong burning smell that came out of the cabinet which had all this equipment in it. I disconnected everything from the wall and from the EB832 and EB8’s. My return stopped pumping but luckily I had a back up COR20 so I changed out the controller and adaptor and hooked it up to the wall. The controller on the COR20 had the same burning smell and was not turning into on when hooked straight to the wall. But since I had a backup, at least that kept going with a swap out. So I ended up plugging a few of the most necessary equipment to a regular power strip (heater, Pax Bellum, skimmer), gyre pump). It was like 1am by this time and I was just beat. The next day, I hooked the T5’s on to another spare power strip, and of course I don’t have a timer so I have been manually turning the lights on and off every day, really need to pickup a Wi-Fi outlet for the time being because it’s such a hassle. Also dosing by hand and not loving that either! There is sufficient flow in the tank and I did reach out to Neptune and they have so far been very prompt and asked me to send in the equipment. So let’s see what comes of it.

The equipment was purchased in 2019 and 2020 mostly through BRS. I am pretty upset that one cord could cause such a problem and just wanted to share so you guys can also be careful. Apparently the 1Link that fried everything was actually broken somehow. I don’t know when it broke or how that happened. The black piece is still in the trident but the cord separated from the black piece that goes into the port and shows 4 exposed prongs. Just waiting to hear back from Neptune to see if I can send the DOS, COR20 controller, and modules along with the RMA for the Apex, EB8’s, EB832, and Trident because they all are fried too.
This JUST happened to my brand-new Apex Pro. 2 Days old...Ughhh...

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back