Entire Apex System Fried

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I haven’t posted in a very long time as life has been keeping me too busy but just wanted to share as a PSA in case anyone deals with this and as a word of caution…not trying to bash anyone because things happen but it’s upsetting never the less.

My Apex setup:
Apex 2016
EB832, EB8 (black), EB8 (orange)
DOS (set for AWC of about 10 gal per day)
COR20 Return
WMX (controlled MP40’s x2, XR15’s x2 XR30)
FMM x2 (multiple leak detectors, flow meters, optical sensor monitors)
Trident (connected via 1Link to EB832)

Other equipment:
Pax Bellum
Bubble Magus Curve Skimmer
Carbon Reactor
CO2 Reactor
MP40 x2
Icecap 3k Gyre
XR15 x2
XR30
T5’s x4
Finnex Heater
GHL Doser

So it all started last weekend when I went to change the reagent on the Trident, it was around 7pm. As soon as I pulled the tray out, it must’ve loosened the 1Link cable. I saw it spark and literally that same second, the entire Apex system went down. The EB832 started flashing white and then both of the EB8’s started clicking repeatedly (like every few seconds). There was a strong burning smell that came out of the cabinet which had all this equipment in it. I disconnected everything from the wall and from the EB832 and EB8’s. My return stopped pumping but luckily I had a back up COR20 so I changed out the controller and adaptor and hooked it up to the wall. The controller on the COR20 had the same burning smell and was not turning into on when hooked straight to the wall. But since I had a backup, at least that kept going with a swap out. So I ended up plugging a few of the most necessary equipment to a regular power strip (heater, Pax Bellum, skimmer), gyre pump). It was like 1am by this time and I was just beat. The next day, I hooked the T5’s on to another spare power strip, and of course I don’t have a timer so I have been manually turning the lights on and off every day, really need to pickup a Wi-Fi outlet for the time being because it’s such a hassle. Also dosing by hand and not loving that either! There is sufficient flow in the tank and I did reach out to Neptune and they have so far been very prompt and asked me to send in the equipment. So let’s see what comes of it.

The equipment was purchased in 2019 and 2020 mostly through BRS. I am pretty upset that one cord could cause such a problem and just wanted to share so you guys can also be careful. Apparently the 1Link that fried everything was actually broken somehow. I don’t know when it broke or how that happened. The black piece is still in the trident but the cord separated from the black piece that goes into the port and shows 4 exposed prongs. Just waiting to hear back from Neptune to see if I can send the DOS, COR20 controller, and modules along with the RMA for the Apex, EB8’s, EB832, and Trident because they all are fried too.

OP
OP
Samina

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch, good luck. Hope the cost for fixes aren't too bad. Looking at your purchase dates, it seems like its all out of warranty?

The good and bad of investing into one brands ecosystem :(.
Yes, sadly all out of warranty so let’s see what the repair costs look like. We’re talking close to a few grand in equipment all fried from a $20 cable…hurts the pocket in more than one way!! But if anyone else learns from this and is overly cautious when it comes to those 1Link cables, that’ll be the only positive I can think of.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... I've, at this point, repaired dozens of such issues unfortunately. The 1link cable carries 24v and aquabus communication. If 24v is shorted to aquabus wires, it sends 24v to everything that is connected over aquabus, components that can only handle 3.3-5v max and there is no built in protection against. gfci won't help either. This fries all of the components connected to it.

The repair is fairly straight forward, but it needs to be performed on most modules connected to Apex during the event:

OP
OP
Samina

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... I've, at this point, repaired dozens of such issues unfortunately. The 1link cable carries 24v and aquabus communication. If 24v is shorted to aquabus wires, it sends 24v to everything that is connected over aquabus, components that can only handle 3.3-5v max and there is no built in protection against. gfci won't help either. This fries all of the components connected to it.

The repair is fairly straight forward, but it needs to be performed on most modules connected to Apex during the event:

Wow thank you for sharing that info. I searched as much as I could all over the internet and different forums to find any similar instances and didn’t come across anything quite like what happened with my system. But reading your explanation, it makes a lot of sense. I watched your video and I have to say, you are so knowledgeable! Very detailed and thorough!

Jay B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thank you for sharing that info. I searched as much as I could all over the internet and different forums to find any similar instances and didn’t come across anything quite like what happened with my system. But reading your explanation, it makes a lot of sense. I watched your video and I have to say, you are so knowledgeable! Very detailed and thorough!
Sorry to hear of your troubles but I do thank you for the helpful info. Alex explained how this happens but I'm not sure how to safeguard against something like this. FYI, Alex has made repairs for me in the past and the equipment is now better than new. His work is great and his turnaround time is very fast.

OP
OP
Samina

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of your troubles but I do thank you for the helpful info. Alex explained how this happens but I'm not sure how to safeguard against something like this. FYI, Alex has made repairs for me in the past and the equipment is now better than new. His work is great and his turnaround time is very fast.
Thank you. Honestly, not sure how it could’ve been prevented. Only thing I can think of is to be careful using those 1Link cables. Maybe not even use them and use the 12v port and hookup power that way? And yes, he seems very knowledgeable in his trade! Part of me wonders if I should send it all off to him for repair instead!

OP
OP
Samina

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth, this is not the first 1Link cable that has broken off the piece that goes into the port. Happened with my DOS before and I switched it to its 12v power supply. I wonder if the breakage is common with those cords… or maybe it’s just me!?!?!!

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Honestly, not sure how it could’ve been prevented. Only thing I can think of is to be careful using those 1Link cables. Maybe not even use them and use the 12v port and hookup power that way? And yes, he seems very knowledgeable in his trade! Part of me wonders if I should send it all off to him for repair instead!
Molex connectors on those 1Link cables are generally of decent quality. However, if pulled hard enough they may bend the leads going into the unit and onto the main board. At this point they can get twisted and shorted together. The other common issue is liquid damage, especially seems common in Tridents as the reagents leak and they are highly corrosive. In such case, even units under warranty may not be covered unfortunately.

You are welcome to send everything in my way, if you wish :) Will likely be faster and cheaper, and in many cases better:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how pulling out the reagent tray could tear the 1LINK cable. For starters, unless it was absolutely taut (no slack) you'd have some play in the 1LINK cable. Second, the Trident has grippy rubber feet that more or less keep it in-place even when opening the reagent tray.

Unless the Trident fell or the tray caught and the entire unit was actually jerked forward - I just can't see the cable coming apart. Not unless it was already frayed/damaged or it was already under constant tension.

Also curious if there was any liquid or anything conductive involved to short-circuit the 1LINK cable out. How'd you notice the spark, btw? When I'm changing the reagents I can't see anything behind the Trident.

OP
OP
Samina

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how pulling out the reagent tray could tear the 1LINK cable. For starters, unless it was absolutely taut (no slack) you'd have some play in the 1LINK cable. Second, the Trident has grippy rubber feet that more or less keep it in-place even when opening the reagent tray.

Unless the Trident fell or the tray caught and the entire unit was actually jerked forward - I just can't see the cable coming apart. Not unless it was already frayed/damaged or it was already under constant tension.

Also curious if there was any liquid or anything conductive involved to short-circuit the 1LINK cable out. How'd you notice the spark, btw? When I'm changing the reagents I can't see anything behind the Trident.
The trident was sitting sideways in my cabinet because the cabinet is not deep enough for it to sit front to back. So I could see the cables and tubes feeding into the back. There was no reagent leakage either that I saw to cause the spark. But when I pulled the tray out, I saw the cable spark and then everything went offline. The 1Link was not taut at all and the trident was definitely not jerked when pulling the reagent tray out. I can’t say how the cable broke but it did. Part of the cable is still in the trident.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trident was sitting sideways in my cabinet because the cabinet is not deep enough for it to sit front to back. So I could see the cables and tubes feeding into the back. There was no reagent leakage either that I saw to cause the spark. But when I pulled the tray out, I saw the cable spark and then everything went offline. The 1Link was not taut at all and the trident was definitely not jerked when pulling the reagent tray out. I can’t say how the cable broke but it did. Part of the cable is still in the trident.
The only scenarios are that the cable was either already damaged and on the verge of failure (and may have incurred a slight jostle), it spontaneously severed when you touched the unit or the cable got jerked (however it may have occurred).

Since you indicated it's not either of the latter two and part of the cable is still in the Trident, I'm inclined to think the 1LINK cable was previously damaged.

if you have a chance please post an image of the severed cable and the part still stuck in the Trident.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch!!! Sorry to hear this . Does anyone know if it’s preventable or a design flaw that need to be addressed and have the manufacture of apex informed ???

OP
OP
Samina

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These cables are made very well. This is clearly a case of damage from op some how.
Thanks for your so well informed input. Kindly keep your inferences to yourself. You are making a blanket statement when you know not the facts. No need to make comments out of sheer ignorance. I am not trying to bash anyone or any company. I was simply sharing my experience so people can be cautious.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your so well informed input. Kindly keep your inferences to yourself. You are making a blanket statement when you know not the facts. No need to make comments out of sheer ignorance. I am not trying to bash anyone or any company. I was simply sharing my experience so people can be cautious.
IMO people will read this and assume it’s a problem with neptunes. You have not clearly stated what had happened but I assure you that a cable that gets plugged into a unit and left alone does not break on its own and short.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back