OP
OP
W

Widowmaker31316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I decided to do a low profile overflow box and drill the hole for the through hole where I “thought” would be the best. Drilled the hole, attached the overflow and everything looked good. Filled the tank and started the flow through the sump and heard a “tink!” The tank cracked from the bottom through the hole and I ended up with about 55gal of salt water in my living room floor. It was a 49 gallon bow front.
My dad’s tank was used as a room divider/ peninsula style tank which he had crushed shell for the substrate with an under substrate filter system with just a couple of power heads for moving the water around. FOWLR. It was 24” wide by 30” tall by 60” long. I cut it down to 18” wide by 30” tall by 60” long and will be incorporating a 40gal sump. I drilled the back for returns and built a low profile over flow. I did my research before ever even buying the drill bit this time.
I was wanting to take as many precautions as possible before I added such a large amount of water. My plan is to build and fill the tank in my work shop and let it run for a couple weeks before moving it inside the house. I’ll post pics of it when it’s complete.

OP
OP
W

Widowmaker31316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I went ahead and removed all the old silicone and cleaned all the edges and rebuilt the tank using AG310 aquarium silicone and left it alone for about a week then leak tested it for another week and it all worked perfectly. I’m beginning the cycle this week!!
IMG_0271.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back