Epoxy for sealing bottom of reef aquarium

Widowmaker31316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am redoing an old 210gal salt water tank that used to belong to my dad. I’ve had to cut the glass down to make it a 150 tall and my question is, can I pour epoxy resin, like table top resin, into the bottom after it’s all put together just for a little extra insurance?
I want to take any precautions I can to prevent any avoidable leaks if possible. Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am redoing an old 210gal salt water tank that used to belong to my dad. I’ve had to cut the glass down to make it a 150 tall and my question is, can I pour epoxy resin, like table top resin, into the bottom after it’s all put together just for a little extra insurance?
I want to take any precautions I can to prevent any avoidable leaks if possible. Thanks
While you can, not typical practice
If you cut the seams and get rid of all silicone and clean it with alcohol, apply aquarium sealant such as aqueon or marine land sealant- you will have a clean repair
DO NOT APPLY NEW SEALANT OVER THE OLD SEALANT

Ocean_Queenie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello & Welcome!
IMG_8890.jpeg

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome! That should theoretically work. I use deep pour epoxy for table tops. My one tip is to make sure it is mixed really well and don't pour more than the recommended amount. I dont know the answer to this, but maybe someone else does - Does epoxy absorb water and expand over time like acrylic? I know this can be a problem with acrylic and has caused tank failures where an acrylic insert had expanded and pushed the glass apart.

now what? fish GIF

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
DO NOT APPLY NEW SEALANT OVER THE OLD SEALANT
does this apply to brand new tanks? i plan on reinforcing a 60G cube in the future via eurobracing, but was thinking of applying more silicone(sealant?) to the edges.

sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread...
welcome aboard the r2r board! hello from PA!

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does this apply to brand new tanks? i plan on reinforcing a 60G cube in the future via eurobracing, but was thinking of applying more silicone(sealant?) to the edges.

Silicone does not stick well to its self in general. But I have had to put new over old like when making baffles in a sump. I didnt have issues with the baffles during use, but when I took 1 apart it came off the old silicone much easier then the glass.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

It lowers the risk when new. It applies more to trying to seal with new sealant over old allowing a weak spot to develop where the two sealants meet

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Welcome to the reef. I discovered this forum as it seemed to always come up when I googled a question. Finally joined, then chose to become a supporting member and later a partner member to keep the forum available for others to come. My wife @Ocean_Queenie and I started culturing copepods and phytoplankton eventually selling some on here as a hobbyist. Eventually we decided to try to make a career out of it so we are now sponsors as well. I love the Reef2 Reef community here and the wealth of knowledge. Thanks for joining us.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back