epoxy vs rods vs cement/mortar for aquascaping?

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually looking for that JB one.

I wonder if it'll be strong enough to make small overhangs with small medium rocks. Maybe even pillars holding the rock up. I tried to use that IC gel and it takes foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr to set. Would algae/coralline eventually settle over the glue and what not?

from my experience yes coralline will cover it. will take some time tho and it wil kinda stand out. anidea i was playing around with is use JB weld for the center of the rock then goop the red/purple stuff around the out side to make it blend in better with my real reef rock.

as far as small over hangs with med rocks...I am not sure I would think it all about how much you use and how you do it. you really need to get i good hold on the rocks and use gel supper glue on both sides of the rock and epoxy in the middle. other wise the weld might break off not in the joint but at the one attachment.

maybe someone with experience use it for aquascape will chime in....I hope.

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked using rods with jb waterweld. Drill it and let the rod take the weight, then hold it in place with jb, as long as the stucture doesn’t move, the rods can hold up the weight of rock (within reason). You can do overhangs using this method. I used dry rock.

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not have good success with aquaforest stonefix, and abandoned it for the putty and rods. Also the stonefix is just grey Portland cement, and is ugly as sin on dry rock.

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to use hydraulic cement and an acrylic additive on mine. The acrylic additive is about $10 and is what makes the Marco 400 cost $42

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home depot or Lowes. Both carry the mortar/cement additive. Cement will effect your ph temporarily and your skimmer will go nuts. I'm won't recommend putting this in a tank with livestock let in cure for a while. I've got some cemented together in a separate container of saltwater.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Redleg any idea what is the recommended cure time for cemented rock? we talking 2 weeks 6 weeks ?
is there a way to test foe when its ready? like monitor PH and when its stable it ready to go in to the DT?

I think it would be good info for others searching this thread to get an idea and me too :D anyone else use cement and chime in on the curing time it takes ?

oh a side note the epoxy can and will make your skimmer go nuts to. from what i have read it only lasts a few days tho.
I never have experienced that with JB water weld and I used about 1/4 stick once for frags...

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not exactly sure how long it will take to reach full strength in saltwater. 1-2weeks should be sufficient for our purposes. That's long enough for the majority of the chemical reaction to be finished. I do know that normal construction concrete takes 30 or more days to reach the majority of its strength. But code officials will let you build residential buildings on it in about 1 week.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back