Coral and aquascapeing

cookie53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All
I have purchased a new bigger tank and I want to transfer my existing rock with coral attached into my new tank and add some new rock

When it’s all ready to transfer and I am ready to aquascape, I have found a product called Nyos reef cement that cures in under 10 mins

Would my coral be ok out of the water for say 15 minutes ?

I have a spray bottle and would spray the coral with water from the tank to stop it from drying ?

Many thanks

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't leave coral out of the water for that long - why not just use reef-safe epoxy combined with superglue gel? This will set underwater

OP
OP
C

cookie53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't leave coral out of the water for that long - why not just use reef-safe epoxy combined with superglue gel? This will set underwater
Hi
I have some epoxy that I use for my corals when you say super glue would it need to be a marine safe superglue gel and do you literally mix the glue with the putty ?
Thanks

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you should do is make a ball of epoxy putty appropriately sized for the current attachment you're doing, then add a dab of superglue gel to each surface of the epoxy that will contact the rock. The epoxy will ensure a snug fit, and the superglue gel will ensure a secure hold. These are the products I use with success for both rockwork and frag securing:

Reef Safe Superglue:

Reef Safe Epoxy Putty:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sps corals, even my clam, are out of water for 20-30 minutes every week for water changes. Once I made a big mistake and everything was out of water for a full hour, but the corals didn't mind at all, to my surprise.

On my softie tank, I have zoa's, gorgonian and a couple of rfa's out of water for about 15-20 minutes every week for water changes,

With that said, don't think its so easy. Or maybe it is for others, but for me its a sloppy mess that I get everywhere on everything. There is no way I would do it with a 15 minute time limit with my corals life on the line.

OP
OP
C

cookie53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sps corals, even my clam, are out of water for 20-30 minutes every week for water changes. Once I made a big mistake and everything was out of water for a full hour, but the corals didn't mind at all, to my surprise.

On my softie tank, I have zoa's, gorgonian and a couple of rfa's out of water for about 15-20 minutes every week for water changes,

With that said, don't think its so easy. Or maybe it is for others, but for me its a sloppy mess that I get everywhere on everything. There is no way I would do it with a 15 minute time limit with my corals life on the line.

OP
OP
C

cookie53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to get it done as quickly as possible as I don’t have much choice

OP
OP
C

cookie53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you should do is make a ball of epoxy putty appropriately sized for the current attachment you're doing, then add a dab of superglue gel to each surface of the epoxy that will contact the rock. The epoxy will ensure a snug fit, and the superglue gel will ensure a secure hold. These are the products I use with success for both rockwork and frag securing:

Reef Safe Superglue:

Reef Safe Epoxy Putty:
Thank you so much for that and I really appreciate it I will definitely try what you suggest

Last edited:

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had no issues with coral being out of water for up to 30 minutes. If concerned, spray them.

I've had a nem out of over an hour trying to get it off a rock hanging upside down. Never came off the rock but is doing great.

OP
OP
C

cookie53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for that and I really appreciate it I will definitely try what you suggest
I've had no issues with coral being out of water for up to 30 minutes. If concerned, spray them.

I've had a nem out of over an hour trying to get it off a rock hanging upside down. Never came off the rock but is doing great.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back