Equipment Advice - IM 170 EXT

  • Thread starter Thread starter Drewb628
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Drewb628

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 4, 2020
Messages
62
Reaction score
22
Location
Wichita, KS
What state or country do you live in
Kansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone! I recently ordered a long overdue upgrade to my tank. I have had my 55 gallon mixed reef for 5 years and finally made the plunge into a bigger tank with the IM 170 EXT. I have been going down a rabbit hole in research for equipment and was hoping to get some advice:

Protein Skimmer: It seems Reef Octo is a safe bet but I'm not sure which size. I leaned towards the Reef Octo Elite 200 INT but I've noticed a lot of advice saying to go smaller on protein skimmer. Should I drop down to the 150? It's such a big jump from heavy load of 200 gallons on the 200 elite and down to 100 gallons on the 150 elite. I plan on having a heavy bioload.

Lights: Analysis Paralysis really has me here. I'm planning on mixed reef but will start with softies and LPS. Leaning towards x3 Reefi Uno 2.1 and x2 Quanta Helix. Is this overkill for a mixed reef, and can I start with just the unos or helixes?

Wavemakers: I have a single Jebao DMP-40 for the back wall and think I will grab a 2nd one. I really would like to try a gyre pump and does anyone have any good recommendations?

I appreciate any help!
 
Whatever skimmer you get (and I happen to like Reef Octo), I'd get a recirculating skimmer. It eliminates the hassle of worrying about the water level fluctuations in your sump.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new