Equipment for SPS dominant 36 gallon

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, im thinking of making my 36 gallon a SPS tank and wanted to see if the equipment below would be good enough to be successful.

Skimmer - Tunze 9004
Powerhead - jabeo CP-90
Filter - Fluval 407
Lighting - Viparspectra 165W

This is all more of a budget list, as my main display is a 75g LPS/Acan, and trying to adjust all that coral placement for flow seems a bit daunting. So why not just change my previous FOWLR to SPS! Any recommendations / suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
B

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything but the Fluval canister filter - which isn't going to cut it. I'd look at the Seachem Tidal 35 or 55.
I just looked that up, that filters more than the fluval? I might upgrade for FX-4/Oase model, but I use canister filters and run with bio balls + carbon + GFO, id lose that with a HOB filter

OP
OP
B

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you currently running a canister filter?
Yes, using fluval 407 for my 75 gallon LPS/softy tank, and the 36 currently. I plan on upgrading my 75 to FX-6, and thats fine for LPS. Figured with my every 3 day cleaning, the 407 would be sufficient with the bioball/carbon/gfo + chaeto reactor for nitrates

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, using fluval 407 for my 75 gallon LPS/softy tank, and the 36 currently. I plan on upgrading my 75 to FX-6, and thats fine for LPS. Figured with my every 3 day cleaning, the 407 would be sufficient with the bioball/carbon/gfo + chaeto reactor for nitrates
I'll backtrack then. Most people don't religiously clean and maintain canister filter systems, which is why they kind of end up being a disaster for most who operate them on saltwater systems. But it sounds like you have a fairly vigilant cleaning regiment, so you'll probably be fine.

OP
OP
B

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll backtrack then. Most people don't religiously clean and maintain canister filter systems, which is why they kind of end up being a disaster for most who operate them on saltwater systems. But it sounds like you have a fairly vigilant cleaning regiment, so you'll probably be fine.
Ive seen, but since sumpless is out of my cards for now, I make the best of what I have! Thanks for the info!

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The FX6 will work as long as you clean it weekly and don't go to the max limit with fish. Get yourself some live rock from KP Aquatic that is shipped in water....about 10 LB. I ran a FX6 on a 90g (softies & LPS) for 4 years and then on a 40g for about 4 years with SPS/LPS/softies. Don't run the sponges inside the filter. Put Marinepure balls in the sponges place

OP
OP
B

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The FX6 will work as long as you clean it weekly and don't go to the max limit with fish. Get yourself some live rock from KP Aquatic that is shipped in water....about 10 LB. I ran a FX6 on a 90g (softies & LPS) for 4 years and then on a 40g for about 4 years with SPS/LPS/softies. Don't run the sponges inside the filter. Put Marinepure balls in the sponges place
Im unsure exactly how the foam set up is different from 407 compared to FX series (never seen FX taken apart in person yet) but ill only leave a single foam part and the rest of the trays bio balls / a single media bag for carbon / GFO. I do clean twice a week to make sure the foam is nice and clean! plus I have ~30 lb or dry rock in the 36 gal, 60lb in my 75. Hence the bio balls to help bio filtration.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip a 'filter' and just use rock, sand, skimmer, and powerheads. I would use 2-3 powerheads instead of one.

What are your plans for dosing alk and Ca? That requires some equipment, although it can be simple equipment.

OP
OP
B

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip a 'filter' and just use rock, sand, skimmer, and powerheads. I would use 2-3 powerheads instead of one.

What are your plans for dosing alk and Ca? That requires some equipment, although it can be simple equipment.
would the CP-90 gyre not be enough? Running at 100%, low end of 2700 GPH / 36G is 75 turnover rate. Id have it placed vertical instead of having flow over the top of the rocks. I do have 2 small hydor powerheads but only push~500 gph.

I manually dose daily, bit of work but I test alk daily, calcium and mag weekly. Lately only having to dose alk to keep stable at 9, calcium and mag are running slightly high so going to biweekly watch change vs weekly.

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this has been touched on 1000 times, but I ran through 3-4x jebao powerhead before I eventually bought a maxspect and MPs. I could’ve bought all of the good stuff 2x for the amount of jebao I have in my garage “scrap” aquarium bin

OP
OP
B

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this has been touched on 1000 times, but I ran through 3-4x jebao powerhead before I eventually bought a maxspect and MPs. I could’ve bought all of the good stuff 2x for the amount of jebao I have in my garage “scrap” aquarium bin
Did jabeo not hold up at all? I have 2 maxspect for my 75 and do enjoy them alot. Ive definetly seen mixed reviews on Jabeo.

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did jabeo not hold up at all? I have 2 maxspect for my 75 and do enjoy them alot. Ive definetly seen mixed reviews on Jabeo.
I’ve never had a powerhead from jebao last longer than 6 months. Return pumps seem to be okay. A buddy and I had a coral shop for years back in 2016-2018 and had a stack of a dozen + jebao in buckets after they went out. I’m pretty handy, and can repair most things even including soldering etc and I couldn’t fix em. I run a VarioS return pump now but my buddy still has his jebao return. So I’ll give a pass on those, but a fail on their powerheads. Not one of the many we bought are still working, whereas both of our XF2 series we have are still rollin

OP
OP
B

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had a powerhead from jebao last longer than 6 months. Return pumps seem to be okay. A buddy and I had a coral shop for years back in 2016-2018 and had a stack of a dozen + jebao in buckets after they went out. I’m pretty handy, and can repair most things even including soldering etc and I couldn’t fix em. I run a VarioS return pump now but my buddy still has his jebao return. So I’ll give a pass on those, but a fail on their powerheads. Not one of the many we bought are still working, whereas both of our XF2 series we have are still rollin
Well good to hear somebodys experience with them! 2F330 gyres are running smoothly after a year. might just go another set of those, I know cheaper isnt always better!

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well good to hear somebodys experience with them! 2F330 gyres are running smoothly after a year. might just go another set of those, I know cheaper isnt always better!
If there’s a way to screw up, I’m your guy. That’s one group of items I avoid at all costs. Excited to see the setup, I’ll be following

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would the CP-90 gyre not be enough? Running at 100%, low end of 2700 GPH / 36G is 75 turnover rate. Id have it placed vertical instead of having flow over the top of the rocks. I do have 2 small hydor powerheads but only push~500 gph.

I manually dose daily, bit of work but I test alk daily, calcium and mag weekly. Lately only having to dose alk to keep stable at 9, calcium and mag are running slightly high so going to biweekly watch change vs weekly.
On the powerheads, gyre style wavemakers do move a ton of water, but I always like to have at least a couple so I can direct the flow.

Sounds good on the dosing. Sounds like you are on it. Some people switch from softies or even LPS to SPS and don't realize that there are extra testing and dosing requirements once you get stony growth.

OP
OP
B

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been testing/dosing for a while with my LPS tank to make sure I get a handle on it all. Id love to put SPS in there, but idk if my 2 kessil 360X is enough output, and if I turn my wavemakers up will it tear up the coral I have currently.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back