Equipment Maintenance 101: Let's talk about ways to keep your equipment working for the long-haul.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Equipment failure is one of the most frequently reported causes of tank crashes. While some of these issues are simply unpredictable, in many instances, our issue may be in shortened equipment life due to lack of equipment care and maintenance. I know I'm guilty of putting a piece of equipment on my setup and then not thinking about it unless a problem occurs. Over time, I've gotten a little better about this, but if I'm honest, my reef equipment still gets cleaned/checked only as often as I think about it and get around to it. However, just like I try to stay on top of my car's regular maintenance routine to extend its life and keep it running for as long as possible, our reef equipment and our setups as a whole would benefit from well-cared-for and regularly maintained equipment.

So let's talk about this. How many of you have regular equipment maintenance routines and what are they? How often should be maintaining specific system components and what does maintenance for those components look like?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment failure is one of the most frequently reported causes of tank crashes. While some of these issues are simply unpredictable, in many instances, our issue may be in shortened equipment life due to lack of equipment care and maintenance. I know I'm guilty of putting a piece of equipment on my setup and then not thinking about it unless a problem occurs. Over time, I've gotten a little better about this, but if I'm honest, my reef equipment still gets cleaned/checked only as often as I think about it and get around to it. However, just like I try to stay on top of my car's regular maintenance routine to extend its life and keep it running for as long as possible, our reef equipment and our setups as a whole would benefit from well-cared-for and regularly maintained equipment.

So let's talk about this. How many of you have regular equipment maintenance routines and what are they? How often should be maintaining specific system components and what does maintenance for those components look like?
For me, I try to buy better equipment at the start that will last longer vs cheeping out on something and having to do more maintenance than I would.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power heads…..ugh. If anyone ever comes up with a coating, or impregnated material that keeps pumps algae/coralline free, sign me up! At least since I’ve switched to muriatic my pumps are living longer than when I was using vinegar. Not sure if that’s as it took four hour vinegar baths vs 30 minutes in diluted muriatic….or of the rumor about vinegar penetrating some pumps plastics had anything to do with it. Funny that the manufactures instructions clearly stated to use vinegar and the pumps always made it juuusst past the warranty coverage. Same goes for the Vca random flow generators..,,whatever material they use for 3d printing makes them like chia pets for me. I love them, don’t get me wrong, they are amazing, just need to be cleaned regularly in my tank. Factory return nozzle never needed cleaning.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Better equipment is not always better if not maintained. I am cleaning powerheads bi-monthly, fans for lights also bi monthly, Lines for trident unit . . . I blow through them to assure they are flowing, doser lines . . . . . . I blow through them also monthly and RODI units- I check TDS and filter appearance every time I use the unit.
Chiller unit- assure coils clean as well as filter every six weeks and skimmer pump every 90 days

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use citric acid and elbow grease to keep my equipment clean as required. Usually every couple of months for gyres and powerheads. Once a year on return pumps. Every 6 months on skimmers. The cheap stuff keeps working as long as it is maintained.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, I try to buy better equipment at the start that will last longer vs cheeping out on something and having to do more maintenance than I would.
I've had far more problems with my Neptune cors than I ever had with cheap knockoff pumps. Tired of stressing over $400 pumps when a $50 pump does the job with less issues.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had far more problems with my Neptune cors than I ever had with cheap knockoff pumps. Tired of stressing over $400 pumps when a $50 pump does the job with less issues.
Fair enough, there's always exceptions to price vs quality. I just say, if it cost more but works better and last longer? Spend the money haha

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't worry too much about my Tunze equipment. But I do keep it all fairly clean... probably every 6 months the pumps get a citric acid treatment. The stream 3 can go a bit longer (supposedly a year in between). Everything else is as-needed. Definitely just need to keep an eye on everything and act accordingly!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back