Equipment needed for blackworm farming?

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided to (attempt) culturing my own blackworms to feed to my fish. I've seen different write ups on different methods on doing it, but none really go into specifics on what you actually need.
If someone has done this before successfully, please chime in and let me know what you used. I'd like to pick up the required equipment this weekend.

arch85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding black worms reproduce very very slow... so everyone I know that feeds black worms just buys them, and "keeps them alive" until fed. Paul's build on the worm keeper is awesome and I plan to do the same when I set up my tank again. Fish LOVE those buggers!

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Paul buys his. He does grow white worms though- which is super easy. I recommend doing that.
Thanks!
From my understanding black worms reproduce very very slow... so everyone I know that feeds black worms just buys them, and "keeps them alive" until fed. Paul's build on the worm keeper is awesome and I plan to do the same when I set up my tank again. Fish LOVE those buggers!
Thanks for the information.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grow so many white worms I have stopped buying black worms. In fact I've been freezing the white worms because I have such a surplus.

Black worms live longer (indefinitely) in fresh water, white worms live longer in salt. If you are trying to feed mandarins, they prefer white worms.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grow so many white worms I have stopped buying black worms. In fact I've been freezing the white worms because I have such a surplus.

Black worms live longer (indefinitely) in fresh water, white worms live longer in salt. If you are trying to feed mandarins, they prefer white worms.
Thanks. I'm actually trying to feed the pickiest Valentini puffer in the world.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where can I get white worms?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back