Equipment Recommendations for 40g Breeder

MB_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Purchased a new 40g breeder that was pre-drilled and installed with an Eclipse L overflow box (Eshopps), 1000gph, never used before. I currently have a 10g nano tank with 1 AI prime 16HD and HOB filter.

I am looking for recommendations for any and all equipment I should look into getting for my new 40g breeder that will be a mixed reef. Light upgrades (or additional 16HD), Sump ideas, skimmer, return pump, etc...

What equipment do you use that you enjoy, get good results with, and/or make your life easier? No specific budget in mind at this point.

Thanks in advance!!

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 40 breeder (no sump) with soft corals only so will just mention the following:
- I'm happy with 2x AI Prime 16 HD LEDs for my needs (and only running maybe 40% of max possible output) -- if you're breaking down your other tank and already have 1x AI Prime available to use, adding a second one seems like a reasonable plan to me.
- I run a single AI Nero 5 for flow and it's way more than enough but would've preferred 2x smaller pumps. (I like the myAI app to control everything so I'd probably go with 2x Nero 3 but any 2 reasonable wavemakers should be fine).

OP
OP
M

MB_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 40 breeder (no sump) with soft corals only so will just mention the following:
- I'm happy with 2x AI Prime 16 HD LEDs for my needs (and only running maybe 40% of max possible output) -- if you're breaking down your other tank and already have 1x AI Prime available to use, adding a second one seems like a reasonable plan to me.
- I run a single AI Nero 5 for flow and it's way more than enough but would've preferred 2x smaller pumps. (I like the myAI app to control everything so I'd probably go with 2x Nero 3 but any 2 reasonable wavemakers should be fine).
Any chance you have a screenshot of the light schedule you are running with the AI prime 16HD over your 40g breeder? I ordered two AI Nero 3 as you recommended.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you have a screenshot of the light schedule you are running with the AI prime 16HD over your 40g breeder? I ordered two AI Nero 3 as you recommended.
Here's a post with PAR readings and myAI settings -- Keep in mind that I only have soft corals so my light intensity needs aren't that high.
*I've added diffusers and increased output a bit since then but just for an idea

AI Prime Settings and PAR

*since you mentioned mixed reef (and I only have soft corals), I would've liked to have seen more input from others with mixed or SPS tanks

Last edited:

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 20 gallon sump with my 40 breeder. That seems to be a pretty common size. I started with a 20 gallon long with a fiji cube sump kit. I've built my own sump since then but just because I wanted custom dimensions for my sump under the tank to create a little room.

I had Jebao slw 20's powerheads for a while. They worked just fine but switched to 2 gyres several months back and have been happy with them as well. Just wanted a little more control over my flow than I was getting with the Jebao's.

I use a Sicce Sycra 3.0 for my return and I am running a Reef Octopus 110 classic for my skimmer.

If I already had 1 AI prime I would consider adding a second for the 40b. I had thought about going that direction at first but ultimately ended up with the 32" photon Reefbreeders and have been happy with that as well.

Good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back