Equipment setup in sump?

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump was initially designed for some equipment that has already been replaced. Since I can't remove the sump and redo it without alot of hazzle I'm wondering if I can make it work as it is;
It was desined for filtersok and skimmer, then return, return teed to feed refugium and lastly ATO chamber.
I quickly replaced my skimmer for a rollerfilter and smaller skimmer, but my small skimmer can't keep ph up, so my bigger skimmer is back in and no mechanical filtration.
I removed the ato, as I have a better solution now, and have a larger refugium. However, I'm not having much luck with chaeto.

Question is, could I run my skimmer and other reactors of the returnline, or is this not a good idea? It would be fairly easy to clean out the fuge and put my skimmer, gac reactor there and reinstall the rollerfilter.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely can.

I had better luck running a chaeto reactor vs. normal refugium anyways.

Really only concern I would have is getting the correct operating depth on the skimmer. Depending on exact setup of course, but can be solved easily with a stand (purchased or DIY) if you dont have one already.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely can.

I had better luck running a chaeto reactor vs. normal refugium anyways.

Really only concern I would have is getting the correct operating depth on the skimmer. Depending on exact setup of course, but can be solved easily with a stand (purchased or DIY) if you dont have one already.
Well, my skimmer is pretty closed at its current location, and my fuge is a bit deeper. But not a big deal lifting the skimmer an inch or two.
I could add a chaeto reactor also, if I wanted too, but right now I just hate chaeto...

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best skimmer stand I ever had was a bunch of pieces of PVC cut to fill the bottom of the chamber. easy to pull and clean and pods seemed to love living in the long dark tubes. Super cheap too (I had a bunch leftover from my original plumbing setup).

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best skimmer stand I ever had was a bunch of pieces of PVC cut to fill the bottom of the chamber. easy to pull and clean and pods seemed to love living in the long dark tubes. Super cheap too (I had a bunch leftover from my original plumbing setup).
That would be an easy build, especially since that stuff you call 'egg crate', can't be bought here.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back