Eric's 300Gal Build!

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredible build!

Careful, that DC pump on your WC station is not watertight for external use. Trust me, i tried. If it doesn't leak right away, it will...

Stand looks fantastic, great color

OP
OP
E_Aquatics

E_Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredible build!

Careful, that DC pump on your WC station is not watertight for external use. Trust me, i tried. If it doesn't leak right away, it will...

Stand looks fantastic, great color

I had one running on my previous tank for almost a year with not a drop of water and so far the same with this one on my water station but I will keep an eye on it. Thanks

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! I tried two and they both leaked at the volute/pump interface. It is just a slip interface without a proper pressure backed o-ring seal.

It sounds like they are working well for you though!

Keep up the killer build

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking build! You have a lot of talent. The stand looks great and I like how you ran new electrical lines for the tank. Nice and clean looking setup.

I like the Biocube/nano tank on the custom stand in the garage. Looks like an inTank media basket inside. How do you like the media basket? I'm thinking about getting one for my Biocube. I'm pretty new to reefing.

Also, what CAD software are you using for the tank and stand drawings? I in the structural steel field but we only use AutoCAD. I like how your drawings look.

Can't wait to see all the fun stuff added to the tank! :)

OP
OP
E_Aquatics

E_Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! I tried two and they both leaked at the volute/pump interface. It is just a slip interface without a proper pressure backed o-ring seal.

It sounds like they are working well for you though!

Keep up the killer build

What fittings did you use to connect it externally? I had to order special female adapters from Spears manufacturing that had the same thread type these punks have.

OP
OP
E_Aquatics

E_Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking build! You have a lot of talent. The stand looks great and I like how you ran new electrical lines for the tank. Nice and clean looking setup.

I like the Biocube/nano tank on the custom stand in the garage. Looks like an inTank media basket inside. How do you like the media basket? I'm thinking about getting one for my Biocube. I'm pretty new to reefing.

Also, what CAD software are you using for the tank and stand drawings? I in the structural steel field but we only use AutoCAD. I like how your drawings look.

Can't wait to see all the fun stuff added to the tank! :)

Thank you!! About the Biocube I never really got it setup because I started working on this tank and I really don't need two tanks. I bought the BioCube used and it came with the intank media basket.

The software that I use is Google sketchup pro. It's a really simple to use program once you get the hang of it you can do a lot of cool things.

OP
OP
E_Aquatics

E_Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job man!! I'm tagging along for some ideas on my next build! Keep up the great work!

Thank you!! If you need any advised or help let me know. I'll help you as much as I can if you need help.

OP
OP
E_Aquatics

E_Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - 11/24/2014

Currently working on the plumbing… More pictures to come!

OP
OP
E_Aquatics

E_Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 11/29/2014

I managed to get most of the plumbing done in the past couple of days and I also got all the rock and sand in the tank.

The Marco Rock sand was a PITA to rinse but it was well worth it.

Here is a shot when I first started and it took about 20 minutes for the water to clear up and this was with the bucket 1/3 full.

Eventually it ended up like this

310lb of dry rock.

Rock work all done… Will get better shots later on

Last night I finally got the tank wet.

4 hours later and 38 gallons later.

Before i went to bed last night I noticed the water was not level in the tank so I took out my level and notice the bubble wasn't perfectly center. I had tanks in this same spot before and it was never an issue but they were only 4 foot. For this tank it the small imperfection in the floor cause the water to be 1/2" higher on one side. This morning I drained the 38 gallons out and had to come up with a way to lift up the stand with the tank, rock and sand. This is what I came up with..

After an hour I got the stand shimmed and perfectly leveled and pumped the 38 gallons of water back in a continued making water.

This is where Im at as of now, about 100 gallons. Before I began to filter the water I installed a 150gpd upgrade kit to my RODI unit so the whole process should go a little quicker and save me some water.

Closeup of the Marco Rock Bahama Coarse Aragonite sand

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work very well thought out. Can't wait to see what you have for tech.

Jepsep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really pays off when you take your time and do it right, took me 4 or 5 months to plan out my upgrade to my 150, but it all went perfect and everything fit where it needed to, so again, great job man!!

OP
OP
E_Aquatics

E_Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting there.... Once it gets to the top I still have to make another 80 gallons to fill my sump so I still have another day or so.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back