Eric's Red Sea Reefer 525XL Build

Cj field

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question about the reactors what is holding all the weight of them? Are they strapped? Trying to do something similar but don't know how to hold all the weight of them, thanks in advance

Johnsoto25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, 5-6 days after adding the Fritz Turbostart 900 I unboxed the skimmer, took a few pictures and in the sump it went. I also got the Helix neck cleaner connected to my Profilux and programmed to run once a day for 15secs. The skimmer level is low because it will need to break in so the output is completely open and the pump is set at 14w.

I also calibrated all my probes and cleaned up the wires.

Reefer 525XL -3-07-2017
by Reefer525XL, on Flickr

Reefer 525XL -3-07-2017-2

Reefer 525XL -3-07-2017-3

Reefer 525XL -3-07-2017-4

Reefer 525XL -3-07-2017-5

Reefer 525XL -3-07-2017-7

Reefer 525XL -3-07-2017-8
I have a question, what is the orange line going to the return pipe?

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. I am looking to make a similar manifold as you. How did you hook the piping up? What diameter is the 525xl piping? Did you convert it to 1 inch? Appreciate any help!
Yes it was converted to 1” pvc. What exactly are you asking about? Connecting the pvc to Red Sea piping or the pipe that’s above the reactors?

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it was converted to 1” pvc. What exactly are you asking about? Connecting the pvc to Red Sea piping or the pipe that’s above the reactors?

Both actually. For the reactors, I am more wondering about how you converted them to PVC.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well for the return on the tank I purchased a 3/4" to 1" male adapter and I unscrewed the barb fitting on the Red Sea return fitting. I then wrapped the threads on the male adapter with teflon tape (10 turns, yes its a lot). The Teflon helps seal the threads as they are not the same. So the male adapter gets screwed where the barb fitting was.

As for the reactor, you will also need male adapters. I believe they were 1/2" plus a set of o-rings. @Broadfield has this step very detailed and honestly I don't remember the exact size of the o-rings. However if you search his thread its all on there.

This tank was taken down in the 2017 after Irma hit FL so I cannot get you any pictures.

I do however have a new tank I just set up and I went a different route with converting the metric piping to standard pvc. I used a metric to standard union from Coralvue to make the conversion. Much solid and I think easier. Here is a picture. The barb fitting also needs to come off but this time you cement the union to the Red Sea fitting with abs to pvc cement.

Attachments

• tempImageSRpcTF.png
    tempImageSRpcTF.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 90
  • tempImageYBBAAe.png
    tempImageYBBAAe.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 50

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well for the return on the tank I purchased a 3/4" to 1" male adapter and I unscrewed the barb fitting on the Red Sea return fitting. I then wrapped the threads on the male adapter with teflon tape (10 turns, yes its a lot). The Teflon helps seal the threads as they are not the same. So the male adapter gets screwed where the barb fitting was.

As for the reactor, you will also need male adapters. I believe they were 1/2" plus a set of o-rings. @Broadfield has this step very detailed and honestly I don't remember the exact size of the o-rings. However if you search his thread its all on there.

This tank was taken down in the 2017 after Irma hit FL so I cannot get you any pictures.

I do however have a new tank I just set up and I went a different route with converting the metric piping to standard pvc. I used a metric to standard union from Coralvue to make the conversion. Much solid and I think easier. Here is a picture. The barb fitting also needs to come off but this time you cement the union to the Red Sea fitting with abs to pvc cement.

Awesome, that helps. Also, what PVC Cement is best to use? Any safer for aquariums? I have the normal purple and clear one for my house but obviously probably just want to use clear?

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to cement the union to the Red Sea fitting then you need an abs to pvc cement because the Red Sea fittings are abs. You can get it a Lowe’s or Home Depot. I believe is green, once dried and curd it will be fine. You do not need to use a lot. I just let mine sit for 25 minutes then back on the tank it went. There’s really no pressure in these pipes so it won’t loosen up or leak.
Awesome, that helps. Also, what PVC Cement is best to use? Any safer for aquariums? I have the normal purple and clear one for my house but obviously probably just want to use clear?

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to cement the union to the Red Sea fitting then you need an abs to pvc cement because the Red Sea fittings are abs. You can get it a Lowe’s or Home Depot. I believe is green, once dried and curd it will be fine. You do not need to use a lot. I just let mine sit for 25 minutes then back on the tank it went. There’s really no pressure in these pipes so it won’t loosen up or leak.

My plan is to remove the barb and use a 3/4 thread+ slip and go from there. Will normal cement work?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back