Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a FTS of the 75.
20211116_113856.jpg
Cyano is all but gone, and now the hair algae has appeared. I've been pulling it, but it grows so quickly! Not to mention the fact that I've been having a hard time finding emerald crabs. I had hoped to snag a foxface (Christmas present;)) but no such luck yet.

The 29g is still infested with flatworms. Neither the mandarin nor the springerri damsel seem interested in eating them. I'm thinking I'll have to tear it down and start over.

Last week, the lfs had a shrimp that was so big, I thought it was some kind of dwarf lobster! Lol. When I found out how little they wanted for it ($10!) I had to get him for Rod's tank. Rod freaked! He thinks it's so cool. Here's a pic of Daddy Two Guns (Evie named him lol) before he went into the tank
20211116_120121.jpg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a FTS of the 75.
20211116_113856.jpg
Cyano is all but gone, and now the hair algae has appeared. I've been pulling it, but it grows so quickly! Not to mention the fact that I've been having a hard time finding emerald crabs. I had hoped to snag a foxface (Christmas present;)) but no such luck yet.

The 29g is still infested with flatworms. Neither the mandarin nor the springerri damsel seem interested in eating them. I'm thinking I'll have to tear it down and start over.

Last week, the lfs had a shrimp that was so big, I thought it was some kind of dwarf lobster! Lol. When I found out how little they wanted for it ($10!) I had to get him for Rod's tank. Rod freaked! He thinks it's so cool. Here's a pic of Daddy Two Guns (Evie named him lol) before he went into the tank
20211116_120121.jpg
I'm Workin on your hair algea eater!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
snails and pin cushion urchins for 75.
get a melanarus for 29,when done ,put in 75?? ... :)

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
snails and pin cushion urchins for 75.
get a melanarus for 29,when done ,put in 75?? ... :)
I was actually looking at a ( ;Vomit ) yellow coris wrasse ;Vomit but I haven't been able to find one of those, either

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I fixed it! Read the previous post again LOL
still keeping the laugh there... :)
mela will devour the flatties in no time,move ,then add the coris...??;)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
strawberry basslet...;):)

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still keeping the laugh there... :)
mela will devour the flatties in no time,move ,then add the coris...??;)
My tentative plan is to get a ;Vomit yellow coris ;Vomit, let it eat all the flatworms, then move it to the 75
strawberry basslet...;):)
I didn't know strawberry basslets would eat flatworms. Something to consider. The fact that its not yellow is definitely a point in its favor lol

What all is in the flatworm riddled tank? Maybe try to siphon like heck, add a massive amount of carbon and then add flatworm exit or similar.
2 clowns, 3 anemones, a springerri, a mandarin, a green clown goby, and some leathers. Oh! And some blue ridge that is ridiculously happy for some reason. Polyps everywhere on them

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tentative plan is to get a ;Vomit yellow coris ;Vomit, let it eat all the flatworms, then move it to the 75

I didn't know strawberry basslets would eat flatworms. Something to consider. The fact that its not yellow is definitely a point in its favor lol

2 clowns, 3 anemones, a springerri, a mandarin, a green clown goby, and some leathers. Oh! And some blue ridge that is ridiculously happy for some reason. Polyps everywhere on them
What kind of flatworms?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little reddish ones
Well that sucks. Red planaira are a pain in the butt. Melly would decimate them and then you could do The tropic marin flatworm X. it doesnt kill them rapidly, but stops them from being able to reproduce. This combo is less invasive, as the toxins are not released into the tank all at once.

You then have the option of siphoning out all you can see, using flatworm exit and the siphoning them as they die. And keep siphoning them out (airline works great for this, and doesnt use much water). But when done, you need to run a ton of carbon for any ones you missed. This treatment has to be done a few times over and over, so you get any that hatch.

Then there is the really aggressive option of taking each rock out (with coral attached) and doing a triple dose in a bucket then dipping rocks for 5-10 minutes. When done, swish rock in anohter bucket with some old SW to rinse and then place back in the tank. At that point, you can dose normal amount a few more times throughout the process to kill any missed. This will allow the toxins not to build in the tank.

With any method, you would need to turn off/remove uv, carbon, gfo or any other media that could absorb the treatment.

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that sucks. Red planaira are a pain in the butt. Melly would decimate them and then you could do The tropic marin flatworm X. it doesnt kill them rapidly, but stops them from being able to reproduce. This combo is less invasive, as the toxins are not released into the tank all at once.

You then have the option of siphoning out all you can see, using flatworm exit and the siphoning them as they die. And keep siphoning them out (airline works great for this, and doesnt use much water). But when done, you need to run a ton of carbon for any ones you missed. This treatment has to be done a few times over and over, so you get any that hatch.

Then there is the really aggressive option of taking each rock out (with coral attached) and doing a triple dose in a bucket then dipping rocks for 5-10 minutes. When done, swish rock in anohter bucket with some old SW to rinse and then place back in the tank. At that point, you can dose normal amount a few more times throughout the process to kill any missed. This will allow the toxins not to build in the tank.

With any method, you would need to turn off/remove uv, carbon, gfo or any other media that could absorb the treatment.
I've been trying my best to do this "the natural way" and not use chemicals, but since I won't be able to leave a melanarus or a yellow coris in a 29 gallon permanently, I don't think I'll have much of a choice. Thank you, Steve :)

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black out tank. Cover all sides with black paper cut small window in front paper so a small area of light shines through this will congregate them in one place to siphon out as they are photosynthetic (primarily) then drop phosphates to near zero. Fine line between destroying them and dinos because of zero phosphates. Once you have made a dent then be aggressive with removing any you see with a turketbaster.

Or use fkatworm exit once you have physically removed as many as possible.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I've been trying my best to do this "the natural way" and not use chemicals, but since I won't be able to leave a melanarus or a yellow coris in a 29 gallon permanently, I don't think I'll have much of a choice. Thank you, Steve :)
Think it's settled then... Danger close C-130 strafing mission!!

Run Away Nuclear Bomb GIF by Identity

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 129 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.3%
Back