OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok all you wonderfully knowledgeable people. Let's talk refugiums. Should I or shouldn't I? Since I'm not doing a sump with this tank, I would have to have a HOB refugium. Would it be worth it? If I do get one, it will have to be inexpensive (and I mean CHEAP!!!), because I have a problem spending big bucks on it until I know that I can be successful in the world of SW. I would rather spend my money on powerheads at this point. What are your thoughts?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok all you wonderfully knowledgeable people. Let's talk refugiums. Should I or shouldn't I? Since I'm not doing a sump with this tank, I would have to have a HOB refugium. Would it be worth it? If I do get one, it will have to be inexpensive (and I mean CHEAP!!!), because I have a problem spending big bucks on it until I know that I can be successful in the world of SW. I would rather spend my money on powerheads at this point. What are your thoughts?
You won't need it right away.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a refugium is a double edged sword and you have to walk the blade. Micro algae will reduce phosphates and nitrates. It can strip it all out plus minerals. So much so you may have to dose it back in. I would hold off till you know what your numbers stabilize at than go from there. Hope that helps.

There is a another way called carbon dosing. Thats a product like nopox or vodka.

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a refugium is a double edged sword and you have to walk the blade. Micro algae will reduce phosphates and nitrates. It can strip it all out plus minerals. So much so you may have to dose it back in. I would hold off till you know what your numbers stabilize at than go from there. Hope that helps.

There is a another way called carbon dosing. Thats a product like nopox or vodka.
That definitely helps! I'll read up on carbon dosing. Thanks :)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize I'm a little late to the party but wanted to mention that there is a modification you can make to the FX6 if you're worried about flow being too high. The modification does not affect the turnover rate, at all. Oh, wait, are you running the FX6 or is that @sfin52 ? BTW - this is a modification I made to mine on my FW 90g.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize I'm a little late to the party but wanted to mention that there is a modification you can make to the FX6 if you're worried about flow being too high. The modification does not affect the turnover rate, at all. Oh, wait, are you running the FX6 or is that @sfin52 ? BTW - this is a modification I made to mine on my FW 90g.
@Erin O is running the fx6. Please share the modification

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the FX6. I have a Tidal 110 and a SunSun 406b on this tank right now, and I'm thinking that I'll run both of them when I convert it to SW. @crusso1993, I welcome any advice you might have! Researching this hobby can be overwhelming and getting advice from people like you and @sfin52 helps me from getting discouraged :)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the FX6. I have a Tidal 110 and a SunSun 406b on this tank right now, and I'm thinking that I'll run both of them when I convert it to SW. @crusso1993, I welcome any advice you might have! Researching this hobby can be overwhelming and getting advice from people like you and @sfin52 helps me from getting discouraged :)

Even though you're not running the FX6 @Erin O and @sfin52 I'll still post some pics of the mod I made on mine. It's really a very simple one to make but very effective at reducing flow. So simple, in fact, that you're probably going to laugh. Waiting for the lights to come on. I hope I don't see anything shiny between now and when the lights come on because it will proabbly cause me to forget I need to take pics!

As for getting discouraged in this hobby; I feel I would be doing you a disservice if I wasn't honest. It happens and it happens more than people care to discuss. I presently have 2 friends on this site that suffered great losses. The first one is on the precipice of possibly another heartbreak with his 300g. He went through a harrowing experience not long ago with his system. The second one lost nearly all of the coral he's had for 10 years in his high-end 680g tank. I realize this sounds freightening but I've never been one to sugarcoat. However, the reward definitely outweighs the risks and we're all here to help and support each other in good times and moreso in bad times. Speaking of helping each other, many of us have made lifelong friendships through this hobby and continue doing so. In my humble opinion, that alone is more reward than any heartbreak accompanied with problems. I truly hope you continue forging ahead and do so in an open, honest and brave fashion. We're glad you're here and willing to do nearly anything to help you be happy!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - something to noodle on; asking a staff member/moderator if you can convert this thread into your build thread.

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - something to noodle on; asking a staff member/moderator if you can convert this thread into your build thread.
I was going to wait until I actually got my tank ready before I started a build thread, but you, @sfin52 and @MERKEY have all suggested this, so I think I will. How do I go about contacting someone to convert it?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any thoughts as to which sand I should use? Should I have fine sand or the more coarse sand? Does it matter? Which brands should I look at?
As to your sand question, it depends. If you're going to have sand sifters like diamond gobies, finer sand helps them. Fine sand also likes to be picked up by currents and gives you a snow globe effect in the tank... but so do diamond gobies. Coarse sand is heavier, but it can still be blown around with direct flow

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though you're not running the FX6 @Erin O and @sfin52 I'll still post some pics of the mod I made on mine. It's really a very simple one to make but very effective at reducing flow. So simple, in fact, that you're probably going to laugh. Waiting for the lights to come on. I hope I don't see anything shiny between now and when the lights come on because it will proabbly cause me to forget I need to take pics!

As for getting discouraged in this hobby; I feel I would be doing you a disservice if I wasn't honest. It happens and it happens more than people care to discuss. I presently have 2 friends on this site that suffered great losses. The first one is on the precipice of possibly another heartbreak with his 300g. He went through a harrowing experience not long ago with his system. The second one lost nearly all of the coral he's had for 10 years in his high-end 680g tank. I realize this sounds freightening but I've never been one to sugarcoat. However, the reward definitely outweighs the risks and we're all here to help and support each other in good times and moreso in bad times. Speaking of helping each other, many of us have made lifelong friendships through this hobby and continue doing so. In my humble opinion, that alone is more reward than any heartbreak accompanied with problems. I truly hope you continue forging ahead and do so in an open, honest and brave fashion. We're glad you're here and willing to do nearly anything to help you be happy!
Also, +1 on this. Thanks for this Crusso. I've had a bad past couple of weeks and you guys are great and all the info here kept me in the game. I don't get any support for the hobby at home, so hearing things like this make it worth it

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to your sand question, it depends. If you're going to have sand sifters like diamond gobies, finer sand helps them. Fine sand also likes to be picked up by currents and gives you a snow globe effect in the tank... but so do diamond gobies. Coarse sand is heavier, but it can still be blown around with direct flow
I had thought about getting a diamond goby, but I decided that it would be irresponsible for me to get one for this size of tank, since they can be hard to keep fed from my understanding. I was looking at the Yasha goby paired with a shrimp, maybe a couple of them, since it's a 75g. Would they do alright with a coarser sand?

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, +1 on this. Thanks for this Crusso. I've had a bad past couple of weeks and you guys are great and all the info here kept me in the game. I don't get any support for the hobby at home, so hearing things like this make it worth it
I'm sorry things have been rough for you lately. I'm glad to know that everyone is so supportive of each other

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had thought about getting a diamond goby, but I decided that it would be irresponsible for me to get one for this size of tank, since they can be hard to keep fed from my understanding. I was looking at the Yasha goby paired with a shrimp, maybe a couple of them, since it's a 75g. Would they do alright with a coarser sand?
I have no experience with the yasha sadly. I don't think you would have a problem with the Diamond eating.
I'm sorry things have been rough for you lately. I'm glad to know that everyone is so supportive of each other
I think this is the only support system most of us have tbh lol. I've read some pretty sad threads that had nothing to do with tanks, and it made me realize this forum is so much more than a place to talk saltwater stuff. For some, this website is the only outlet for them to express their feelings or emotions, and mostly everyone accepts that and the mods encourage it. I'm 27, and a "millenial". But I grew up with a family that taught me, "men are supposed to be strong, blah blah". I've seen enough in my years to know that people need to get things out sometimes, and this being "safe place" to do so is nice. Snowflake or not

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 88 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back