Erin O's 75G Build

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the fish, they are awesome to look at, just not awesome to watch
@bdesign, you're KILLING me LOL. I will say that you and @Chefwheredyougo both had multiple damsels in your tanks. Maybe I'll have better success with just one? (crosses fingers)
I'm sure I'll have just one soon enough. It'll be fun

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocellaris. I haven't decided if I'm going to get a single or 2 and hope they pair
If you get small they will pair. You’ll have a little sparing as they figure out who will be the female.
Sustainable aquatics is amazing. A very wide selection of clowns . The storm troopers or the lighting mocha are my favorite besides the lightning maroon
http://sustainableaquatics.com/

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get small they will pair. You’ll have a little sparing as they figure out who will be the female.
Sustainable aquatics is amazing. A very wide selection of clowns . The storm troopers or the lighting mocha are my favorite besides the lightning maroon
http://sustainableaquatics.com/

The clowns at my lfs are typically tiny, and if they don't have any small ones when I go, I'll just wait until they do. Or, I could decide to just get one. I guess I'll just decide when I get to that point lol.

Considering my fish choices, how many fish total can I put in this tank? I'm tentatively planning on:
1 or 2 ocellaris
? bangaii cardinals
2 goby/shrimp pairs
1 flame angel
1 fairy wrasse
Either 1 damsel or a school of blue reef chromis

Now, I know I can't have ALL of these fish in a 75g, but I'm having a hard time deciding and knowing how many might help. Maybe... lol :)

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My list
*5 b/g (blue green chromis) now 3
Coral beauty angel
*Sailfin tang
Green clown goby (gcg)
Yellow clown goby (ycg)
Yellow watchman goby (ywg)
Royal Gramma
Lightning maroon clown
Ornate Leapord wrasse

The lightning clown took out a b/g chromis
That I believe has changed the balance with my b/g chromis. The chromis started it the clown finished it.

*The chromis started bearing up on another chromis. I just moved that to the 55. We will see it it makes it. The chromis have to be in a group of 5 or more to spread the agression amongst each other.

*The sailfin is not a good option for a 75g tank. Lfs told me it was and so I got it. Been in my tank for 5yrs. It's not leaving now. Wish I knew about the bristle tooth tangs.

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My list
*5 b/g (blue green chromis) now 3
Coral beauty angel
*Sailfin tang
Green clown goby (gcg)
Yellow clown goby (ycg)
Yellow watchman goby (ywg)
Royal Gramma
Lightning maroon clown
Ornate Leapord wrasse

The lightning clown took out a b/g chromis
That I believe has changed the balance with my b/g chromis. The chromis started it the clown finished it.

*The chromis started bearing up on another chromis. I just moved that to the 55. We will see it it makes it. The chromis have to be in a group of 5 or more to spread the agression amongst each other.

*The sailfin is not a good option for a 75g tank. Lfs told me it was and so I got it. Been in my tank for 5yrs. It's not leaving now. Wish I knew about the bristle tooth tangs.
Ok, so maybe try the single damsel and do a school of bangaii instead of the chromis? I'm afraid that 5 or more would be too much for this tank. I can't remember right off hand if the bangaii should be in schools.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so maybe try the single damsel and do a school of bangaii instead of the chromis? I'm afraid that 5 or more would be too much for this tank. I can't remember right off hand if the bangaii should be in schools.
They can but in bigger tanks. The danger is them pairing off and beating up the odd one. It's hard to determine sex.
I just keep one. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can but in bigger tanks. The danger is them pairing off and beating up the odd one. It's hard to determine sex.
I just keep one. Just my 2 cents.
Man! Maybe it's my freshwater roots, but it feels like this is going to be a BARE tank! Lol

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope just think of it this way more veriety of fish.

Look at my list. It's not bare it's got loads of fish and fish that occupy all areas of the tank.

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope just think of it this way more veriety of fish.

Look at my list. It's not bare it's got loads of fish and fish that occupy all areas of the tank.
That's one of my concerns as far as fish go. I want to make sure that I don't overpopulate one area of the tank. It seems like it's so much easier to find that sort of info on FW fish. I know that I can ask all of you fine people, but I feel like a schmuck asking all the time lol

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one of my concerns as far as fish go. I want to make sure that I don't overpopulate one area of the tank. It seems like it's so much easier to find that sort of info on FW fish. I know that I can ask all of you fine people, but I feel like a schmuck asking all the time lol
That's the only way to learn.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see any problems with my list regarding swimming areas?
No I don't. I think you can add more.
2 clowns
2 gobies with pistol shrimp
Benghi cardinal
Flame angel they have the potential to be aggressive absolutely add last if adding one
Fairy wrasse
1 damsel

Other suggestions
bristle tooth tang
Royal Gramma
Leapord wrasse.
There are lots that can be added.

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You rang? Yes, I'm very sweet. Blue velvet damsel.
IMG_20191203_172300455.jpg

Sorry, but @Katrina71... I think:

B3604B05-46E5-4D97-B782-2036216714C2.gif

bahahahahaha

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, but @Katrina71... I think:

B3604B05-46E5-4D97-B782-2036216714C2.gif

bahahahahaha
She's with a pair of clowns and a watchman/pistol pair. She was in a lfs for almost a year in a small retail tank. The watchman is the alpha of the tank. I feel certain that plays a part as well as her stunted growth.

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, sorry for the rant that's about to happen. It has nothing to do with SW.

I've been trying for 3 years to breed my blue freshwater angelfish. THREE YEARS!!! I currently have 2 pairs (one pair in my 29g, alone, and one pair in my 125g with a couple of other fish) and I've only gotten wigglers, like, 5 times. In 3 years. The fact that I couldn't get babies is what pushed me to try SW. Every time they spawned and didn't succeed was a huge letdown, you know? Well, my younger (and favorite) pair spawned 3 days ago. Yesterday, they moved all the wigglers (I've never had this many!) And today, the wigglers are looking good and the parents are doing a wonderful job. Now WHY couldn't they have been doing this the whole time?! I mean, I know I have a way to go before I know the babies will survive, but still!!! I've decided that that pair heard me talking about moving them into the 125g so I could use their tank for SW. I'm not going to tell them that I've decided to move my bachelor angels and their tank mates from the 75g instead lol. I'll probably move that pair to the 125 anyway, and use the 29g for QT instead of my extra 10g. Wouldn't it just figure if they actually parent raise these guys to the point that I get to grow them out lol

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just for spite. They want you to go crazy.

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just for spite. They want you to go crazy.
Well, they got their wish LOL! But, the good thing is that I know that I'm making the right decision in trying SW. Even with their success so far, I still want to make the switch in the 75g. No regrets :)

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tidal 110 on my tank and wish I went with a canister instead. It takes up less tank space, can hold more media, and doesn't hang on the back of the tank. I'll be switching to a sump soon or else I'd get a canister. Don't get me wrong the tidal is awesome, probably the best hob there is, it does it's job very well, and for the price it can't be beat

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back