Erin O's 75G Build

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of damsels did you get? I think that I'm going to try just one and see how it goes. It may turn out to be a bad decision, but if I don't try, I'll always wonder. Maybe the flame angel will help keep it in line? (Wishful thinking lol)

Blue Azure
We tried several types of traps, etc., too... God, I hate them.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Katrina71 you have a damsel in your tank that's a model citizen. Can you elaborate. I believe it’s a jewel.

@Erin O look into a Leapord wrasse. They are gorgeous , peaceful and are great at pest control. This is one fish that I would not order online. They are bad shippers. I would make sure it is eating frozen before you buy it.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Azure
We tried several types of traps, etc., too... God, I hate them.
If you know where it sleeps hit with a bright light and scoop it out. If it sleeps in a place you can nab it.

@ Erin o there is nothing worse tearing a tank apart just to remove the fish.

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you know where it sleeps hit with a bright light and scoop it out. If it sleeps in a place you can nab it.

@ Erin o there is nothing worse tearing a tank apart just to remove the fish.

They sleep deep within the rocks, so no chance of that.

We’ve even tried (don’t judge) skewering them with wooden kabob sticks in the crevices and holes in the rocks.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You rang? Yes, I'm very sweet. Blue velvet damsel.
IMG_20191203_172300455.jpg

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[USER=134623]@Erin O look into a Leapord wrasse. They are gorgeous , peaceful and are great at pest control. This is one fish that I would not order online. They are bad shippers. I would make sure it is eating frozen before you buy it.
The leopard wrasse is amazing! But I just read on Live Aquaria that it needs 90g and a group of them. I don't think that'll work for me :(

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rr
The leopard wrasse is amazing! But I just read on Live Aquaria that it needs 90g and a group of them. I don't think that'll work for me :(
Depends on species. Check out ornate Leapord wrasse

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 3 blue damsels in my 72. Started with 4, one was a yellowtail. After about a month together I was looking in the tank during feeding and noticed the yellowtail was missing. That was 3 months ago. This past week, I've lost 3 fish to them. A lightning maroon that's been in for 7 months, (saw this with my own eyes and couldn't stop it in time), a lawnmower blenny that was in the tank for about a week, (< 3 inches), and a small foxface that was < 3 inches introduced last week,(also saw this one with my own eyes, my t5 fixture sits on the tank and couldn't move it fast enough to open the glass to remove the foxface).

I can't catch the little buggers, and now what was a 15 dollar expenditure for 4 of them has cost me 200+ in lost fish alone. If I could do it over, I would have never added the blue devil damselfish to the tank. Now I've got to wait for them to kill each other off :(

I do still have a thunder maroon that runs the tank, and kinda hoping she goes surfing soon as well. Tangs are easier to catch than these fish, and I'm tired of bleeding every time I need to add or adjust a frag

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 3 blue damsels in my 72. Started with 4, one was a yellowtail. After about a month together I was looking in the tank during feeding and noticed the yellowtail was missing. That was 3 months ago. This past week, I've lost 3 fish to them. A lightning maroon that's been in for 7 months, (saw this with my own eyes and couldn't stop it in time), a lawnmower blenny that was in the tank for about a week, (< 3 inches), and a small foxface that was < 3 inches introduced last week,(also saw this one with my own eyes, my t5 fixture sits on the tank and couldn't move it fast enough to open the glass to remove the foxface).

I can't catch the little buggers, and now what was a 15 dollar expenditure for 4 of them has cost me 200+ in lost fish alone. If I could do it over, I would have never added the blue devil damselfish to the tank. Now I've got to wait for them to kill each other off :(

I do still have a thunder maroon that runs the tank, and kinda hoping she goes surfing soon as well. Tangs are easier to catch than these fish, and I'm tired of bleeding every time I need to add or adjust a frag
I'm so sorry to hear this. Maybe, since I'm going with the 75g instead of the 29g, I should look at some of the chromis. Do you guys think I could get away with that?

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry to hear this. Maybe, since I'm going with the 75g instead of the 29g, I should look at some of the chromis. Do you guys think I could get away with that?

I have a little story about Chromis...
lol

never mind, I feel like a Debbie-Downer. Haha

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can still have a sump :). I have my 75g with a hang on overflow and a eshopps R300 sump. It's some additional risk according to some, but after I did a bit of studying on redundancy I felt comfortable with it. For what is worth, it hasn't lost siphon a single time in my 1.5 years. (and yes, I also have a tang haha)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back