Erin O's 75G Build

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to, but I was planning to wait until I get it cleaned up and ready to set up. It still has freshwater fish in it right now.

I have a SunSun 404b on the 75g as well as the Tidal 110, right now. Should I use it, as well, when I make the switch to saltwater? Should I use the canister instead of the Tidal?
I would. What type of for do you want to keep

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some quick research and as of right now, I'm leaning toward softies and lps. However, I still have a lot of reading to do and videos to watch, so that could change lol

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did some quick research and as of right now, I'm leaning toward softies and lps. However, I still have a lot of reading to do and videos to watch, so that could change lol
@sfin52 has a really nice tank and his 75g is much more mature than mine, I'd take a look at his, it looks good!

I believe he has a good mix in there too, it's in his build thread ;)

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sfin52 I'm going through your build thread right now and I'd like to know what kind of fish is the "Show Stopper" in your 55g. I'm not very good at SW fish ID yet, but am I right in thinking it's a wrasse of some kind?

Edit: Never mind! I guess I should have kept reading lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Softies and lps are good choices. Sps aka sticks are just too touchy for my taste.
I haven't had a chance to really look into them much yet, but I watched a quick video on what a guy thinks are the 5 best beginner lps and softies. I like the zoas! I also liked the zenias (I think that's what they're called). But like I said before, I have a LOT of research to do before I get anything lol

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had a chance to really look into them much yet, but I watched a quick video on what a guy thinks are the 5 best beginner lps and softies. I like the zoas! I also liked the zenias (I think that's what they're called). But like I said before, I have a LOT of research to do before I get anything lol
Leathers are very forgiving. In 2017 I had a tank crash lost all my lps. Shrooms, finger leather and green star polyps survived.

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leathers are very forgiving. In 2017 I had a tank crash lost all my lps. Shrooms, finger leather and green star polyps survived.
"Forgiving" is what I need! Lol. I'm not gonna lie, coral makes me nervous. I think in my mind, I equate coral with freshwater plants. And I have killed every plant I've put in my tanks. EVERY. ONE. Lol!

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Forgiving" is what I need! Lol. I'm not gonna lie, coral makes me nervous. I think in my mind, I equate coral with freshwater plants. And I have killed every plant I've put in my tanks. EVERY. ONE. Lol!
Much different. The algae lives in the tissue of the coral. The byproduct of algae is what the coral feeds on. The algae also gives coral their color and protects the coral from the sun. The coral also can eat small items as well.

With the proper light and right water conditions you will be able to grow coral and frag it.
I was in your shoes when I started. I just fragged my first coral in June. Since than I've been fragging my coral on a regular basis.
You got this.

Now what's this about killing fw plants. I can help with that as well
IMG_20191123_233046487.jpg

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much different. The algae lives in the tissue of the coral. The byproduct of algae is what the coral feeds on. The algae also gives coral their color and protects the coral from the sun. The coral also can eat small items as well.

With the proper light and right water conditions you will be able to grow coral and frag it.
I was in your shoes when I started. I just fragged my first coral in June. Since than I've been fragging my coral on a regular basis.
You got this.

Now what's this about killing fw plants. I can help with that as well
IMG_20191123_233046487.jpg
I'm sure that once I get started with corals, I'll feel better about them. It's just getting to that point, you know?

As far as freshwater plants, I've tried ALL the "easy" ones, and I've killed all of them. I've tried hornwort, java fern, java moss, swords, anubias, anacharis, duck weed, and there are a couple of others but I can't think of them right now. I've tried root tabs for the planted ones and I tried dosing Excel and so many other things. Nothing worked. So I've given up on plants lol

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure that once I get started with corals, I'll feel better about them. It's just getting to that point, you know?

As far as freshwater plants, I've tried ALL the "easy" ones, and I've killed all of them. I've tried hornwort, java fern, java moss, swords, anubias, anacharis, duck weed, and there are a couple of others but I can't think of them right now. I've tried root tabs for the planted ones and I tried dosing Excel and so many other things. Nothing worked. So I've given up on plants lol
Are you using salt or water from a water conditioner.

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using salt or water from a water conditioner.
Not any more. We had thought that that might be the problem, so we bypass the water softener and flush the line before every water change. It didn't help.

Oh, and I've just read on your thread that the melanurus wrasse will eat my shrimp and hermits. I'm so bummed! I really like that fish. Oh well lol

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at the simple damsel because I want some blue in my tank and it seems like damsels are the only fish that have the blue that I'm looking for lol. Can you suggest any other bold blue fish?

I just can’t help but add my two cents regarding the damsels.

I had the same thought as you; “...because I want some blue in my tank.”

I added four to our tank and what an absolute headache and stressful ball of frustration it had been. They have been nothing short of a nightmare - constant aggression toward other tank mates.

At one point we drained the tank TO THE SAND BED in an attempt to catch them and end their wretched lives, but failed.

I would pay someone handsomely if they could get them out of my tank.

Maybe you’d have better luck (maybe not). Haha

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can’t help but add my two cents regarding the damsels.

I had the same thought as you; “...because I want some blue in my tank.”

I added four to our tank and what an absolute headache and stressful ball of frustration it had been. They have been nothing short of a nightmare - constant aggression toward other tank mates.

At one point we drained the tank TO THE SAND BED in an attempt to catch them and end their wretched lives, but failed.

I would pay someone handsomely if they could get them out of my tank.

Maybe you’d have better luck (maybe not). Haha
What kind of damsels did you get? I think that I'm going to try just one and see how it goes. It may turn out to be a bad decision, but if I don't try, I'll always wonder. Maybe the flame angel will help keep it in line? (Wishful thinking lol)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back