Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give him a little credit. I mean, I bet he makes a mean corn on the cob! :p
Lol! Nah, he isn't in the habit of cooking anything. However, that may change, since he decided that I need a job to support my habits. If I have to work evenings, dinner will be up to him. Scary thought! My kids are going to turn into fast food junkies :eek:

Hmmm, maybe the crock pot will start getting used more regularly

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crusso1993, it looks like he likes the FW sump idea lol. He's redoing the design for the stand to accommodate one and trying to decide what would be the best size of sump for our tank. It'll be a DIY, so I'm sure he'll start looking up how to put one together soon ;Smuggrin

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crusso1993, it looks like he likes the FW sump idea lol. He's redoing the design for the stand to accommodate one and trying to decide what would be the best size of sump for our tank. It'll be a DIY, so I'm sure he'll start looking up how to put one together soon ;Smuggrin
One step closer to the 125 becoming a sw

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One step closer to the 125 becoming a sw

I'm telling you, right now, he will regret it if the 125 isn't a reef!

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that I'm going to shuffle some fish around this weekend and get the 29g cleaned up and ready to go because I'm tired of waiting. The tentative plan was to get started on the stands this weekend, but my F-i-L's sister-in-law died, so they're going to be out of town for the funeral, and I have Influenza B, strep throat, ear infection, and pneumonia to deal with in my house right now (not me, yet, thankfully, but I'm sure its just a matter of time). I was talking with @DownSouthBandit, and we had discussed going bare bottom in the 29. Then, once its fairly well established, getting some gsp and setting it to grow on the floor of the tank. I know that I want sand in the 75, so I thought this might be a fun way to set the two tanks apart, looks-wise. What does everyone else think?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral that "branches" tend to be SPS, right?

You're correct :) As for your ATO questions earlier, I have a Tunze 3155 and I'll never have another tank without one. Had it for 4 years now and it's performed flawlessly.

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're correct :) As for your ATO questions earlier, I have a Tunze 3155 and I'll never have another tank without one. Had it for 4 years now and it's performed flawlessly.
Thank you! What is the maintenance like with this one? Is it as simple as wiping the eye sensor clean every time you add water to it? How about the backup float sensor? Does that need anything special to keep it functioning properly?

I think I've seen branching dry rock. Could I use that instead of the branching SPS for a clown goby?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the maintenance like with this one? Is it as simple as wiping the eye sensor clean every time you add water to it? How about the backup float sensor? Does that need anything special to keep it functioning properly?

I've performed 0 maintenance on mine over the last 4 years, I did give it a bath in hydrogen peroxide and scrubbed it when I swapped Nuvo 10's but that was to kill off any potential Aptasia hitchhikers. You don't want to wipe down the optical sensor once it has a flim coating on it. IME When you first set it up it can be a little all over the place with overfilling till the float sensor trips the shut off. It's pretty common and it seems once a film develops over the optical sensor the issue goes away. To avoid this, before setting it up you can toss the optical sensor in your tank for a week or two first and let the film develop. Then set it up afterwards :)

I have no experience with gobies so I can't be of much help there unfortunately

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've performed 0 maintenance on mine over the last 4 years, I did give it a bath in hydrogen peroxide and scrubbed it when I swapped Nuvo 10's but that was to kill off any potential Aptasia hitchhikers. You don't want to wipe down the optical sensor once it has a flim coating on it. IME When you first set it up it can be a little all over the place with overfilling till the float sensor trips the shut off. It's pretty common and it seems once a film develops over the optical sensor the issue goes away. To avoid this, before setting it up you can toss the optical sensor in your tank for a week or two first and let the film develop. Then set it up afterwards :)

I have no experience with gobies so I can't be of much help there unfortunately
Thank you for the info :)

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! It's been a while, at least for this thread. I have read that when I'm placing my rock, I'll want to put it directly on the glass to prevent tipping if any of my critters try to dig underneath. Would I be able to place slate under the rock to prevent scratching the glass? Or are scratches not really a concern? With everything that's been going on, I'm just now getting the 29g and it's canister cleaned. Right now, I'm using vinegar (running the canister just as if I had the tank stocked) and I hope to switch to bleach solution tomorrow or Wednesday. I'll probably get my rock, sand and water Thursday or Friday, and start setting everything up this weekend. I've been putting off getting the rock and stuff because of the virus, but I think that getting the tank started will give my family a little excitement and something to look forward to. This will also give me some experience, so when the 75g FINALLY get set up, I'll have more confidence. I guess that's a good thing, right? Lol. Even though It's so frustrating having to wait!

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! It's been a while, at least for this thread. I have read that when I'm placing my rock, I'll want to put it directly on the glass to prevent tipping if any of my critters try to dig underneath. Would I be able to place slate under the rock to prevent scratching the glass? Or are scratches not really a concern? With everything that's been going on, I'm just now getting the 29g and it's canister cleaned. Right now, I'm using vinegar (running the canister just as if I had the tank stocked) and I hope to switch to bleach solution tomorrow or Wednesday. I'll probably get my rock, sand and water Thursday or Friday, and start setting everything up this weekend. I've been putting off getting the rock and stuff because of the virus, but I think that getting the tank started will give my family a little excitement and something to look forward to. This will also give me some experience, so when the 75g FINALLY get set up, I'll have more confidence. I guess that's a good thing, right? Lol. Even though It's so frustrating having to wait!
Scratches aren't much of a concern and adding a false bottom will just add space for detritus and stuff to build up where you won't be able to get it out again without removal of the entire scape.
I'd just set it on the glass, you won't see any scratches as the sand will cover that up.
Also practice is definitely a good thing!

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scratches aren't much of a concern and adding a false bottom will just add space for detritus and stuff to build up where you won't be able to get it out again without removal of the entire scape.
I'd just set it on the glass, you won't see any scratches as the sand will cover that up.
Also practice is definitely a good thing!
Makes perfect sense! I hadn't thought about the detritus build up aspect of it. Thanks! :)

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need your opinions. I know I asked about sand before, but I'm finally going to get sand and rock in the next couple of days, and I still have no idea what to get. I have settled on the stocking for the 29g, so maybe that will affect your opinions? I'm going to get a clown goby, a blue neon goby, and 2 clowns (NOT added all at once), along with various CUC. Since I'm not getting a shrimp/goby pair anymore, should I look for a sand that is more coarse? Will I still need the finer stuff if I want a shrimp as part of my CUC? Also, how much would you recommend I get?

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep should I make the sand bed? Does it really matter since I'm not planning on any sifters other than nassarius snails?
I wouldn't go too deep or you can end up having issues later down the road.
I'd say 2"

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back