OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.. I haven't updated this thread in a few weeks....not too much has changed really, but I made my light choice. :D Because I've decided on an anemone themed tank (well.. A carpet at the center with my Saddleback pair), I'm going to need lots of light at the middle of the tank. In addition to the carpet, I also want to keep brains, scolies, acans, chalices, etc.. And these require lower light levels.

So, after much debate, I decided on a single AI Sol Blue with the black housing. It should look pretty slick and will work out well with my tank's light requirements. I do like the Radion (more than the AI Sol actually) but I just can't justify paying so much more for the light, especially when we have so many non-reef related expenses coming up.

I'm still going with the Warner Marine MF-121 (and strongly recommend them), and will have two of the wireless MP10es for flow.

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you gotten the light yet? If you are going with AI, why not wait for the Vega? I decided to go with the maxspect razor 120w for my set up. I have yet to receive it but hopefully will have it in about a week. I was also looking at the vega but felt I would need 2 fixtures and the maxspect was less then 1 AI and comes with the built in controller. Good luck and post pics

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting a brand new AI Sol Blue (black housing) for a VERY good deal, and I already had the controller. I just ordered the 70 degree optics as well. That should help with spread. With the way my rock is setup and my livestock, I think I'll be fine.

Honestly I wanted either a Radion or Giesemann Infiniti MH/T5 combo, but they were just too much $$$ (and heat with the MH). Even with the controller and optics, it would have been much more to go with one of those options. At least 2x as much.

The Vega is kind of the same deal... It would have cost me over $200 more for a fixture that I had not seen in person, and had no idea when they would actually ship out. I hope they work out well.

I liked the Maxspect but couldn't wait for the 120 model to come out. Good luck, make sure to take some pics and post them up.

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I haven't updated this thread in a while

.....the tank has gone through a few changes. Some were equipment and some livestock.

I ended up selling the GLA tank. It was really too nice to be used as a sump, and I picked up a 20 gallon high tank to use instead. The 20 gallon tank works well, and allowed me to add the RO/Di container in the stand.

In addition to the sump, I added an AI Sol Blue and another MP10wES. The flow is great and I really like the wireless capability. It's a neat feature.

As for the lighting, well... ...I ended up trading the AI Sol Blue for an Aquactinics MH/T5 combo. So far, so good.... but I'm thinking about changing the MH fixture out for another Metal Halide setup or an ATI Powermodule/Sunpower. We'll see how that goes.

My ATO died as well. It was an Avast Marine Works pressure sensor. I liked that until it just stopped working one day. I'm not sure exactly what happened but the control switch just wouldn't turn the pump on...I no longer recommend these, because it was less than one year old, and cost too much money for that kind of longevity. I picked up a JBJ ATO unit instead. It's a nice top off module. No real complaints at this point.

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And, after aprx 8 weeks, my tank has fish ...I was able to bring my yellow watchman goby up from QT and put him in my tank.

My clown fish pair is currently in the QT. Ill get them used to the tank and eating regularly, and then I will try a round of Prazi-Pro..

On an un-related note, I added the first dose of Special Blend last weekend. I've had some cyano and tried the lights out for three days already, but it didn't make a dent.

So far the amount of cyano is getting less and less...

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday there was a great deal locally on a MH/T5 combo fixture.

I already have an Aquactinics fixture with 1x 175 watt SE bulb and 2x T5s, but the new light has a 150watt DE MH and 4x T5 bulbs. I feel this will give me a better combination, more T5s to play with and influence colors, and a larger selection of MH bulbs to choose from.

Plus, when the MH is on, the T5s will show through and have an effect on coloration. Currently the MH kind of overpowers the 2 T5 bulbs.

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the support! I don't have many pics right now, as I suck at taking pictures, and only have an iPhone.. but here are a few from the start up....

Dry placement:

RoomTank.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the starboard base w/ acrylic rod for the rockscape:

photo-4.jpg

Horrible pic, but it shows the rockscape:

photo-2.jpg

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pair is going to be the centerpiece of the tank (fish-wise, anyway).. It's a poor quality video of my clowns in QT...

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back