E's 60 Gallon Rimless Cube Build

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago I decided to break down my 90 gallon reef. It was just too big for the living room and really too much work to maintain.

So I downsized. A lot. ...I bought an Elos Mini, and although these are excellent tanks with incredibly well done (and thick) glass, silicone, etc... it turns out I completely ran out of room in about two weeks.
scratchchin.gif

I knew this wasn't going to last long. After reading, searching, and a TON of indecisive back and forth.. I finally ordered a new Deep Blue 60 Gallon Rimless tank. I'm going to really put my best effort into this adventure, and will slowly update this thread when updates come.

Thanks for reading and following along. :neutral:

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I have planned so far:

Sump:
GLA (Green Leaf Aquariums) rimless 18 inch cube

Skimmer:
Warner Marine MF-121 (this skimmer is INCREDIBLE)

Return Pump:
Probably the Tunze Silence 1073. I love Tunze gear, and their return pumps are excellent. I also might get a Marineland Utility 1800. I've used a number of these pumps and have been happy with them.

Lighting:
This has been a difficult decision, and it's one I've not made yet. I'm leaning toward LED. I have an AI Nano over the Elos Mini and really like it. However, I wish there were less expensive, quality options other than the Radion, Vertex, or AI Sol Blue. On the other hand, a Giesemann Spectra 150 MH/T5 combo or a 6 bulb Powermodule would be sweet. I just don't want to deal with the heat they come with or bulb replacement. Also, the control-ability that comes with LED lighting is amazing. It's going to be hard to give that up.

Flow:
I'm going to start off with an MP10. That will handle my lower flow LPS and Zoas/Acans for now.. but in the future I plan on adding additional flow. I might get another MP10w ES, or a Tunze 6095. Either of these will easily handle the flow requirement of my mixed reef. I love the wide flow, quiet operation, and reliability of the 6095... but I don't like the cord sticking in the tank, and the lower profile MP10w ES will be nice. We'll see.

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rimless tanks are BEAUTIFUL! You definitely should post pictures of your progress.

numsie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the new Maxspect Razor due out at the end of the month (Maxspect Razor R420R LED Light Fixture)
I did lots of reading and for the money as well as the look I think this LED system will be a winner, its only as thick as an IPAD, comes in a 20.5 inch or 27 inch and it will look great over your cube. Check it out :)

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the new Maxspect Razor due out at the end of the month (Maxspect Razor R420R LED Light Fixture)
I did lots of reading and for the money as well as the look I think this LED system will be a winner, its only as thick as an IPAD, comes in a 20.5 inch or 27 inch and it will look great over your cube. Check it out :)

Ive been looking into that fixture as well. However, I'm not excited about their release dates. It has been pushed back a few times, and now it looks like the 160 version will be released in July, and the 120 version "a few weeks later" . So at this point I am going to go with something else... Probably the AI sol blue fixture.

In other news, my tank is arriving tonight, and I can't wait to pick it up!

Last edited:

numsie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what they tell me, the 160 version LED's are do to arrive in the US on the 27th, delivery first week of Aug if you can hold on, if you go with the AI fixture how many will you need? I'd love to see a phonto of your new tank when you get it up and running.

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, did you pick up your tank yet?

I went to the LFS but it wouldn't fit in my car :(.

I'm going back this weekend with a buddy of mine who has a minivan.

In related news.. I'm struggling with the stand. I'd hate to spend the money on a custom made stand, but I don't have the tools, skills, or time to DIY. I might have to man up and build the frame myself.

numsie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have the tools, by the time you buy or rent them it will cost more then spending money on a custom. I'll bet there are plenty of good carpenters out there that are hungry for work that would be happy to build it for you for a good price. Look on Craig's list or Angie's List, just get refrences...lol

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing some more research and found the Marineland Ventura stand for about $225.. As long as it's made of wood and not MDF (and it fits the cube) I'll probably end up going that route

numsie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75g Deep Blue I keep at my office with their series 2 stand, total garbage, the hardware is all rusted, the "carbon" look front is all warped and it's only 3 years old. I worry about the MDF going bad on it, I have been telling my boss we need to replace it but he doesn't want to spend the money. At home I have a wood stand for my 45g, thats the way to go. Hoping to recieve my LED's this week, very excited!

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.. Somewhat of an update. I ordered the Series 1 Stand. However, when I went to pick it up at the LFS the owner told me that the stand had cracked on the bottom during shipping.. I saw the bottom and it was clearly busted. :(. It was for the best though. At that point I decided to send the stand back and get a different one.

I didnt like the MDF and cheap fittings on the Series One, so I went with the Marineland Ventura. It's solid wood and looks very good. The stand should arrive Wednesday and I'll be picking it up then.

I hope to have water in the tank by Saturday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is about half full! I transferred all the livestock over on Saturday, including the rock. I made a new rock tower using acrylic rod. I can't fill it completely yet because I need to get another bulkhead, as the Deep Blue bulkheads SUCK.:cry: Hopefully I'll have one by Wednesday and the rest of the water can be added.

Right now the AI Sol Blue Nano is lighting the tank well.. but it's not going to last, especially when the tank is filled up to the top. I'm REALLY struggling with the light choice.. and I'm not sure why exactly. I'm going with LEDs for sure, but figuring out which company model is the problem...

The Vegas look GREAT, but they're not scheduled to come out until the end of the Month (and will probably not be released at that point). Same with the Maxspect Razor 120 (or whatever the 20.5 inch model is).

There's a good deal on a used ACAN 24inch fixture, but I'm not a huge fan of their LED choice (blue and white LEDs only). I've seen a few REALLY nice tanks with the ACAN 800 series though.. with great colors.

Or I could pick up a Radion at a relatively good price, but that's a lot of $$$$ for one fixture. And I'm not 100% confident it will sufficiently light my tank... Same with the regular AI Sol Blues.. I'll probably need 2x modules and at that point it's more expensive than one Radion. LOL.. so the circle goes round and round.....

Last edited:

MBG75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick up that 24" 6 bulb ATI. He down to $250 with bulbs

Last edited:
OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I really like ATI fixtures too.. I just dont want to deal with the light spill and the bulb changes. The tank is right near the couch and whoever was sitting there would be blinded, I'm afraid.

The dawn to dusk effects, low energy usage, and controllability of LEDs are great aspects and are drawing me to LEDs.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back