Eshopps R100 2nd Gen Sump Setup. Help?

Breezeman2323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my question is for those of you who have or have used the Eshopps R100 2nd Gen Sump.

Ive been reading and reading so i have a pretty good handle on things so far. But my question is this:
Has anyone out there had any luck using this sump as a Refugium as well? This first compartment easily fits my ASM mini skimmer, so i figured it was possible to use the second compartment as a refugium. Now my concern is the oval opening between the first compartment and the central compartment. Will this opening keep the central compartment from being a productive refugium?

Also, what is the putrpose of the small baffle on the bottom of the central compartment? More surface area for algae? A substrate restraint, to keep sand from moving around in the sump floor?

Ive attached a picture of the Eshopps Sump for reference.

Any and all info is apprecaited, and if anyone is willing to help me set this sump up correctly, im all ears.

Thanks All! Its a pleasure having this forum at my disposal, super helpful!

-Ty

Eshopps-R-100-2nd-Generation-Single-Intake-Refugium-75-125-Gallons-99.jpg

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the RS100. When I saw your post, I’d hoped we had the same sump. My sump doesn’t really resemble yours at all. I’d be hard pressed to add a refugium to mine. As for the baffle thingy.... I have no idea what it’s for. Have you searched online for different ways to use the sump? Sorry I can’t be more help,

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I created a refugium outside of the sumo with the return flowing back into the sump via gravity so far so good

OP
OP
B

Breezeman2323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like the idea of using a 10gal or somthing like that as a supplementary refugium. I have the room to make this happen, along with a few extra pumps that would be more than adequate to get water to and from the sump.

I geuss thats what ill do, i was onsidering it all along. I just figured id ask about possibly using that central compartment as a refugium. The more i think about it, just doesnt seem like i can make it work.

The only thing i an think of to make it work would be to close off the oval opening from the first compartment to the central compartment and drill either smaller holes up higher on that wall, along with mesh to keep critters in the central compartment.

All this being said, i think the secondary refug is going to be it.

We'll see though, maybe somone else has some ideas.

Thanks everybody

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back