Essense 130 overflowing

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a skimmer newby. I've had an Essence 130 installed on 56 gallon for one month, it's a very light load at this point. It skimming well but about every other day I wake up and the cup has filled with water overnight.

I've tried it at 8", 7.5", 7.25", adjusted the dial, etc. I'm now trying 7".

Is this still just a break in issue at this point?

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the skimmer has been operating for a month it is safe to say the skimmer should be broken in by now. As long as the water height stays at the same point throughout the day the water height is not the issue. Now it is very likely that you have the valve mostly closed to obtain a collection. The 130 is oversized for a 56gal and you may experience trouble keeping the skimmer to produce a healthy head of foam. My suggestion would be to lower the water level within the reactor (open the output valve) till the skimmer does not overflow at night and stock the tank heavier.

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it @ 7.25" with the dial set at 10 and it overflowed last night.

So you're suggesting that the in order to get a foam head, I'm having to close the valve a bit too much to push the water level up in the chamber and that's why its overflowing?

And a heavier bioload will produce taller foam and it should resolve?

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now the output is so closed off that when a bioload is present (night time) the skimmer reacts with the organics present and collects. Adding more biomass to the tank will help stabilize the skimmer performance. So I suggest to start off by adjusting the skimmer so that it collects pea size bubbles and larger where the collection cup attaches to the skimmer. If it overflows at night continue to open the valve till it no longer overflows.

Back