Established Coral Reef with Cornerstone or other Fake Rocks?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tried a fake rock shelf in mine a long time ago and it never looked right. It may have just been the shape though.

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New (1 year old) sps tank. Bare bottom and 100% dry Caribsea rock. I precured for 3 months prior to setting up. No issues really.
IMG_1445.jpeg

3 year old cube. 100% dry Real Reef rock with ocean direct sand. No real issues either, just occasional cyano.
IMG_1383.jpeg

Just me but my most brutal dry rock set up was from old Pukani and Tonga rock. Tore down that tank and reset it to the current sps tank. I’d always buy unused “fresh” dry rock, precolored not white, with maybe a seed rock or two from here on out. Cornerstone rock looks great btw. I’d try it.

Edit: precolored, not white

Last edited:

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d recommend maybe asking a local reefer with an established tank you’d like to emulate if you can put some media or have a piece of rock from their sump. I wasn’t as lucky but it’s worth a try

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New (1 year old) sps tank. Bare bottom and 100% dry Caribsea rock. I precured for 3 months prior to setting up. No issues really.
IMG_1445.jpeg

3 year old cube. 100% dry Real Reef rock with ocean direct sand. No real issues either, just occasional cyano.
IMG_1383.jpeg

Just me but my most brutal dry rock set up was from old Pukani and Tonga rock. Tore down that tank and reset it to the current sps tank. I’d always buy unused “fresh” dry rock with maybe a seed rock or two from here on out. Cornerstone rock looks great btw. I’d try it
I would not have guessed it is fake rock. Looks awesome!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have an inspiration tank? Maybe if we knew your end goal look.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just inspired by the concept. I love the idea of replacing wild caught items and wanted to see if fake rock could really replicate the look of wild rock which I think it does so far. I can see one day in the future live-rock being totally banned for collection.

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just inspired by the concept. I love the idea of replacing wild caught items and wanted to see if fake rock could really replicate the look of wild rock which I think it does so far. I can see one day in the future live-rock being totally banned for collection.
The current live rock mostly comes from Florida. From my understanding, it’s permitted and regulated. They dump in man made rock and let cure in the ocean for years then “harvest” it. The Australian live rock out there is collected as coral at a regulated total coral collection weight

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current live rock mostly comes from Florida. From my understanding, it’s permitted and regulated. They dump in man made rock and let cure in the ocean for years then “harvest” it. The Australian live rock out there is collected as coral at a regulated total coral collection weight
Very interesting that is good to know!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Florida rock is not man made rock.

TBS Live Rocks are a visual feast of shapes, sizes, and colors. Bahamian, Philippine, Trinidad, Florida quarried, vintage Pukani and reef friendly Walt Smith are found on the lease site.​

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Florida rock is not man made rock.

TBS Live Rocks are a visual feast of shapes, sizes, and colors. Bahamian, Philippine, Trinidad, Florida quarried, vintage Pukani and reef friendly Walt Smith are found on the lease site.​

Correct. Thought it was man made. Depending where you get it I guess, it seems they all use at least dry mined oolite rock from Florida like Marco rock is

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back