Establishing Pods

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 60 gallon fish-only with dry reef rock (no sump, as there is no place for one), and (as many do) am dreaming of having a Mandarin Dragonet. But I am at present thinking that I might not be able to establish a large enough population in the tank to keep up with the Mandarin's consumption if I add a culture of pods from an established tank. Am I thinking correctly ?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with something like eco pods from algae barn or some other mix and then consistently dose phyto to keep their numbers up. You could do a HOB refugium to act as a safe haven or a decent amount of very porous rock.

You could also try culturing pods

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to the good ideas from spare time, I suggest a captive bred fish as they are much more likely to eat frozen food. That’s what I got. I also seeded the tank with pods and have been hatching brine shrimp (not overly healthy but food is food and is rather see my mandarin eat junk food than nothing at all). I’m culturing phyto and will likely try to grow some pods ice the phyto is going good.
Good luck!

OP
OP
Clownfish_Boy

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with something like eco pods from algae barn or some other mix and then consistently dose phyto to keep their numbers up. You could do a HOB refugium to act as a safe haven or a decent amount of very porous rock.

You could also try culturing pods
I do have a HOB filter/skimmer combine with a large empty section which may be used as a refugium. And I will have 40 lbs of rock in the tank. How do I get the pods into the refugium; do they just accumulate in there by the action of the pump ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clownfish_Boy

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to the good ideas from spare time, I suggest a captive bred fish as they are much more likely to eat frozen food. That’s what I got. I also seeded the tank with pods and have been hatching brine shrimp (not overly healthy but food is food and is rather see my mandarin eat junk food than nothing at all). I’m culturing phyto and will likely try to grow some pods ice the phyto is going good.
Good luck!
The problem with the Captive Bred Mandarins is that the other fish in the tank, being very fast feeders, will keep it from getting enough food. ORA recommends keeping their Mandarins in a species-only tank in which other fish do not beat it to the punch when feeding.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 60 gallon fish-only with dry reef rock (no sump, as there is no place for one), and (as many do) am dreaming of having a Mandarin Dragonet. But I am at present thinking that I might not be able to establish a large enough population in the tank to keep up with the Mandarin's consumption if I add a culture of pods from an established tank. Am I thinking correctly ?
In any tank under 120gallons + the mandarin will demolish any population very fast. For a 60g you’ll need to start external cultures. Mine consumes ~20,000-30,000 pods a week.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with the Captive Bred Mandarins is that the other fish in the tank, being very fast feeders, will keep it from getting enough food. ORA recommends keeping their Mandarins in a species-only tank in which other fish do not beat it to the punch when feeding.
There’s no problem keeping a mandarin with other heavy pod consumers, just have to prepare for it.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a HOB filter/skimmer combine with a large empty section which may be used as a refugium. And I will have 40 lbs of rock in the tank. How do I get the pods into the refugium; do they just accumulate in there by the action of the pump ?

They can crawl or swim to there but the rock is going to be the main home.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Clownfish_Boy

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a couple hundred worms for you that will. Shipping address?
Are they those tiny little Annelid detritus worms that live in the substrate ? I once got a culture of them from an established reef tank and established a population in a 45g FOWLR that kept a Mandarin well fed.

Last edited:
Back