ESV B-Ionic: both major AND minor elements?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the ESV B-Ionic 2part system cover MOST/ALL of the major elements?

Like Magnesium,Potassium, Strontium, Iodine, Iodide, etc etc?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the ESV B-Ionic 2part system cover MOST/ALL of the major elements?

Like Magnesium,Potassium, Strontium, Iodine, Iodide, etc etc?

No, it only supplies alkalinity and calcium. No other elements.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it only supplies alkalinity and calcium. No other elements.
Actually as far as I've read it does. This right off the bottle labels.

20190309_230951.jpg

20190309_230938.jpg

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx @rc1626 .... according to the "ionic" contents you pictured.....that pretty much covers the important trace elements like potassium, mag, strontium I'm concerned about.

Who needs Triton when you got . Water changes .....plus..... ESV b-ionic 2part? Lol

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read on their website that certain elements may be depleted over time (ie that their 2 part underdoses these elements). One group that they talk about are strontium and iodide. I'm not sure many dose their strontium and iodide products, however.

Mateusz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've been using ESV for some time now and send in an ICP every so often. Years ago when looking at 2 part solutions I realized ESV apparently had it all in it... Maybe at a lower level so it isn't overdosed? But my ICP comes back spot on everytime, and I don't do water changes in my main display tank very often at all, maybe 3-4 water changes a year and everything is very happy. I would assume because the ICP checks out and I don't do water changes or add any other elements that the ESV is keeping the tank happy and chugging along like it has for all these years. :) From what I understand Bob who owns ESV is a really good guy and his formula has been around since I was a child or maybe even before I was born.

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly. On the BRS website, someone asks about Magnesium and they answer that it doesn't contain magnesium, but on bottle in picture above it says it does? On my bottle it doesn't mention Magnesium directly, but says it contains all major, minor, and trace elements in proportions of seawater. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/1-gallon-package-esv-b-ionic-calcium-buffer-system-bundle.html

What do we conclude here lol?

I've been dosing equal parts B Ionic Calcium + B Ionic Akalinity + All For Reef for some time now. (Not exactly equal, but close).

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly. On the BRS website, someone asks about Magnesium and they answer that it doesn't contain magnesium, but on bottle in picture above it says it does? On my bottle it doesn't mention Magnesium directly, but says it contains all major, minor, and trace elements in proportions of seawater. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/1-gallon-package-esv-b-ionic-calcium-buffer-system-bundle.html

I've been dosing equal parts B Ionic Calcium + B Ionic Akalinity + All For Reef for some time now. (Not exactly equal, but close).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bionic does contain magnesium. Magnesium demand varies significantly depending on which organisms are calcifying, so if you have lots of coralline (a big user) and don’t don’t do many water changes, you may need more.

it likely does not contain as much magnesium as my diy recipe, which BRS uses for their prepackaged diy mix.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be clear, the BRS answer does not claim it contains no magnesium and the question wasn't clear what it was asking about. It says it does not "come" with magnesium, and by that I presume they mean something like my 3rd part that they sell for use with the DIY two part that is a magnesium and sulfate part.

I do agree the whole conversation is poorly written and of little value.

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll check out your DIY when I decide to dose Magnesium. So far it's been .. ok .. 1150-1250 for months. Not ideal, but I figured if it's staying close enough better not to mess with more additives, but what do you think @Randy Holmes-Farley Should I pull trigger and add Magnesium dosing?

Oh ya tank is 18 months old, 300g, with lot of live rock, but only maybe 10% or less covered in coralline... lol maybe because magnesium slightly low?

Oh ya I also have 2 smallish tuxedo urchins about 1.5-2" diameter

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back