Rating - 0%
0   0   0

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some nice choices. Fungia's aren't really fraggable since the mouth should stay intact. Scoly's will take years to form around again because they are slow to rebuild skeletons. Same thing with welso's. Anemones will need to split on their own, I don't know how successful cutting them is. The stuff from sexy corals is nice though. Our budget initially to start this is pretty low as of now. We'd like to see how successful it is. Ie, club interest, successful growth, recovering some of the cost of the corals..and so on

jikm2187

Chalice Baller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
k2parkstar said:
Some nice choices. Fungia's aren't really fraggable since the mouth should stay intact. Scoly's will take years to form around again because they are slow to rebuild skeletons. Same thing with welso's. Anemones will need to split on their own, I don't know how successful cutting them is. The stuff from sexy corals is nice though. Our budget initially to start this is pretty low as of now. We'd like to see how successful it is. Ie, club interest, successful growth, recovering some of the cost of the corals..and so on

Oh I completely understand.. Anemones don't take too terribly long to clone, and as far as welso, scoly, and fungias yes they are an unrealistic coral for the purposes of this the club library.. But there are a lot of ideas out there now..

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jikm2187 said:
any update to the tanks condition?

The tank is doing well, rob has several frags in it that are staying pretty happy. We should have more info about the library at the meeting this month, and hope to make our first purchase of library items soon after that

OP
OP
Rob.D

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the tank is supporting SPS, LPS, and softies.

I did a water test yesterday and the results are as follows.

Salinity: 1.026
Nitrate: ~2
ALK: 9.6
Cal: 430
Mag: 1290

Last edited:

jikm2187

Chalice Baller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
k2parkstar said:
The tank is doing well, rob has several frags in it that are staying pretty happy. We should have more info about the library at the meeting this month, and hope to make our first purchase of library items soon after that

And awesome

OP
OP
Rob.D

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have placed all types of frags in the club tank, to be sure it sustain growth and color. So far it is maintaining color and corals are growing, I can't wait to get the club corals in it.

So far I have:
Zoas
Palys
Clove polyps
Chalice frags (new cuts and established frags)
Acans
Fresh Cut SPS (already encrusting)

Lighting on the tank is a 24" 4 bulb T5 with Hexarc Bulbs

OP
OP
Rob.D

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything in the tank currently available for "check out"

No the "club" has not made any purchases....yet.

I do feel confident the club tank is 100% ready for the library to begin.

OP
OP
Rob.D

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I wanted to wait until all the polyps opened to announce the clubs purchases. The frags were placed in the club tank around 1 pm today and as of 10:45 pm all but one polyp of blue hornet zoas have fully opened. They are all full color and look amazing!

Anyways here is the list of zoa/paly's the club now owns:

1 SC Utter Chaos
1 Jason Fox God of War
2 Red Hornets
2 Blue Hornets
2 Sunny Delights
2 SC Twilight V2's
2 Candy Apple Red's
4 Captain America's
5 Yoda's
4 Strawberry Wines
For the polyps that are singles will not be available until at least a second polyp grows out.
I think at least a full week of heal time is needed.
The BOD is meeting tomorrow and the "check out fees" will be set, I will post these fees as soon as possible.
Feel free to post you interest in this thread or by PM.

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a really great start to an awesome library. I also want to add you will only be able to check out 1 coral at a time, to ensure everyone will get an opportunity. The club will always maintain at least 1 frag in the club tank at all times to ensure sustainability

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little unclear on #8...something about passing on a polyp to the next person..
If a person checks out 3 polyps, they return 3, correct?

Its nice of some people to offer to donate to the library. Was there any consideration to giving a doner a credit to check out another coral. That may help to grow the library.

Great idea to do this, btw. What happens if you check out a coral and it dies? Sucks to even think about that, but I surely am not the best with survival rates. I can't get xenia to grow in my tank, but palys do ok.

Oh, and blue agave is one I would love to have.

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little unclear on #8...something about passing on a polyp to the next person..
If a person checks out 3 polyps, they return 3, correct?

Its nice of some people to offer to donate to the library. Was there any consideration to giving a doner a credit to check out another coral. That may help to grow the library.

Great idea to do this, btw. What happens if you check out a coral and it dies? Sucks to even think about that, but I surely am not the best with survival rates. I can't get xenia to grow in my tank, but palys do ok.

Oh, and blue agave is one I would love to have.

#8 you'll actually return the polyp to the club. Basically you'll check out 1 polyp, say a red hornet...You'll get to keep it for lets say 90 days, (no time frame has been set yet). After your 90 days are up. You bring the frag back and 1 polyp is cut off and returned to the library. Whatever is left is yours, so you may have 2 or 3 polyps or more in that time frame. If nothing has grown in that amount of time extensions will be considered. Donor credit is a possiblity we have discussed, and I think may work well. Lastly if the coral dies, we haven't come up with a solution for this yet but we will be discussing this tomorrow. At the minimum though we will always have a frag in the club tank to continue on this project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back