Euphylia Issue

Ericg1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one has had me scratching my head. Some of my hammers/spawns have been thriving. Great colour and consistent polyp extension. A couple don’t seem to have good polyp extension at all, colour is still consistent. No sign of pests (did remove a small vermetid from the toxic green, but they were dipped on arrival) or brown jelly. The toxic green in the background has been in the tank for four months. The marble (1 month) both looked great for the first week in the tank but have shrunk, haven’t gotten worse. Any ideas on what could be up and how to fix it? I’ve sent off an ICP for curiosity but everything else in the tank has been thriving.

Params
Alk - 8.4dkh
Calc - 440ppm
Mag -1220ppm (a little low I know, but consistent)
PO4 - .003ppm (it’s a struggle to keep it this elevated )
Nitrate - .5ppm (once again a bit low )

context - for the low nutrients. I’ve tried reckless feeding of fish and corals, turning down the fuge schedule and not changing my filter socks as often with no real results. I even added a 6th fish to my 30g (albeit two are tiny neon and tiger gobies).

Attachments

• IMG_0566.MOV
    4.7 MB
  • IMG_0567.MOV
    3.6 MB

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does reckless feeding of fish and corals mean? What are you feeding with and how much how often?
With your nitrate and phosphate so low the corals are relying more on food they are catching. Some may be catching more which could explain why some are doing well while others are shrinking. Are you target feeding them all several times a week with lps pellets, chopped frozen mysis or similar food? I also find my hammer and frogspawn need the flow turned down for 30-30 minutes as it takes them a while to eat.

OP
OP
Ericg1989

Ericg1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does reckless feeding of fish and corals mean? What are you feeding with and how much how often?
With your nitrate and phosphate so low the corals are relying more on food they are catching. Some may be catching more which could explain why some are doing well while others are shrinking. Are you target feeding them all several times a week with lps pellets, chopped frozen mysis or similar food? I also find my hammer and frogspawn need the flow turned down for 30-30 minutes as it takes them a while to eat.
Cheers for getting back.

so a weeks schedule would consist of one broadcast feed of reef roids, one target feed of reef roids. Dosing 4ml of AB+ plus every odd day and then feeding the fish three times a day (Small amounts of frozen krill, mysis or enriched brine shrimp). All switch the flow and skimmer off for coral feeding.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers for getting back.

so a weeks schedule would consist of one broadcast feed of reef roids, one target feed of reef roids. Dosing 4ml of AB+ plus every odd day and then feeding the fish three times a day (Small amounts of frozen krill, mysis or enriched brine shrimp). All switch the flow and skimmer off for coral feeding
I would try target feeding some of the brine shrimp or mysis if they are not too large several times a week. The frozen mysis I get here are large so I chop the frozen block up. I feed during the day and at night sometimes. I have a 50g system and I feed 2 cubes about every other day plus I use various LPS pellets and smaller dried dust sized things of various brands. I have one fish sooo feed the corals directly a lot. My Euphyllia seem to do better with regular feeding even with nitrates and phosphates on the higher side.

Back