Euphylia Near Rock Flower Nems

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite sure where this post should go, but I'm planning out my coral placement, and I've been on the fence on where to put any euphylia corals I pick up. I was wondering if they could be placed near rock flower nems, or if that would end horribly. I understand these corals are second in aggression and sting power to nems, but I don't know how they would fare near actual nems.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no issues between my Hammers, torches and Frogspawn next to several RFNs. They cohabitate just fine.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no issues between my Hammers, torches and Frogspawn next to several RFNs. They cohabitate just fine.

All euphyllias can go near each other, but I would keep them away from others. I don’t think it would end well!

Thank you both for your responses. Is it possible to expound on the reasoning behind your advice a bit?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have baby RFAs that have scattered all over my tank which is mostly zoas. The nems do make room for themselves, but I think it's as much by blocking light by growing above and over the zoa polyps that are close more than by stinging the zoas. I also had a frag of an orange digi that fell off the frag rack and landed on/in a RFA. I don't know how long it was there, but the RFA did no damage.

But this is just my anecdotal evidence, others may have experienced different results.

Good luck.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for your responses. Is it possible to expound on the reasoning behind your advice a bit?
I don’t have personal experience, just what people have told me. Nems don’t get along with anyone as far as I’m aware. And I have different euphyllia species living all clumped together.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have baby RFAs that have scattered all over my tank which is mostly zoas. The nems do make room for themselves, but I think it's as much by blocking light by growing above and over the zoa polyps that are close more than by stinging the zoas. I also had a frag of an orange digi that fell off the frag rack and landed on/in a RFA. I don't know how long it was there, but the RFA did no damage.

But this is just my anecdotal evidence, others may have experienced different results.

Good luck.

Shouldn't be a big deal then?

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rock flower nems seem to stay in place most of the time but they do occasionally wander. I've had RFNs on the base of the Euphyllia or within reach of the Euphyilla without any issues for either. Other than not enough light for the RFN. So usually the RFN will move were it gets the light/flow it needs. As for most RFN they seem to prefer the sand bed or mid tank somewhere in a rock crevice. My Euphyllia placement is all over the place, from the sand bed, mid tank or the top.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rock flower nems seem to stay in place most of the time but they do occasionally wander. I've had RFNs on the base of the Euphyllia or within reach of the Euphyilla without any issues for either. Other than not enough light for the RFN. So usually the RFN will move were it gets the light/flow it needs. As for most RFN they seem to prefer the sand bed or mid tank somewhere in a rock crevice. My Euphyllia placement is all over the place, from the sand bed, mid tank or the top.

So maybe the torches/hammers placed higher than the RFAs?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any open sand for the RFAs? They do very well placed in a PVC end cap and then placed in the sand. All of mine that are in end caps have never moves and they are in the sand away from most corals. My issues are with babies that get spewed out and can settle almost anywhere. And those haven't been a big issue... at least so far!

There is a link in my signature below for a discussion thread about RFAs and there is info about using the end caps. Others have found this successful as well. And in my experience of 5+ years with RFA, they almost never move.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand, they tend to stay put, but I know they can move about as they please.
Most of the time they stay put and are not as bad as other nems. They're small enough to tolerate their movement and they don't seem to go up very high in the tank. So wavemakers are not too much of a concern.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any open sand for the RFAs? They do very well placed in a PVC end cap and then placed in the sand. All of mine that are in end caps have never moves and they are in the sand away from most corals. My issues are with babies that get spewed out and can settle almost anywhere. And those haven't been a big issue... at least so far!

There is a link in my signature below for a discussion thread about RFAs and there is info about using the end caps. Others have found this successful as well. And in my experience of 5+ years with RFA, they almost never move.
Great Idea, I may have to try this next time I add some RFNs.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will be checking that out in a few minutes. I've never thought of using pvc caps like that. I was hoping to make them part of the scape itself though. You can see my build in my signature to see what I'm talking about.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time they stay put and are not as bad as other nems. They're small enough to tolerate their movement and they don't seem to go up very high in the tank. So wavemakers are not too much of a concern.

Surprisingly, I don't have any wavemakers in my tank. Oversized return pump, and a bunch of RFG nozzles create the flow in my tank. I'll add one once I feel I need one.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be checking that out in a few minutes. I've never thought of using pvc caps like that. I was hoping to make them part of the scape itself though. You can see my build in my signature to see what I'm talking about.

Here is what my RFA look like now. In the second photo you can see more of the babies.

20190118_114455 R2.jpg

20190118_114549.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back