Euphyllia Coral Basically Dead

Catfish31504

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, ive had ny first reef tank of for around 6 months now, everyone and everythings been doing pretty good besides one euphyllia coral who has seemingly been slowy dying sense the day i got it. It started lush and beautiful with two heads that were fully extended, but sense maybe 3 weeks ago one head has essentially completely died off i dont really expect it to bounce back, the other half is great some days and shriveled up half dead other at random intervals. It doesnt make much sense to me as i have plenty of zoas, acans and one green coral that looks like i brain i havent identified, are doing great. I have tried everything i know how to do so water changes, dosing Dr tims first defense and microbacter 7 but no effect. I was wondering if there was anyway to save this coral or if its a lost cause. Attached are two pictures of what it looks like now and what it looked like a month ago, its been a slow sad and difficult fight that i have been losing, maybe im just too new to saltwater aquariums.
If i starts looking better in the next couple days ill post that too

16350810597853821010415657100951.jpg 16350810852387968044170545956457.jpg 20210901_161120.jpg 20210728_115203.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its more recession than dead. What is age of your tank ?
There a few things to know when it comes to any euphyllia care. Lighting and water flow very important when it comes to recession and polyp bailout.
I asked about age of tank because hammerand euphyllia require STABLE conditions. New tanks are subject to swings. One of them is calcium. If low or unstable, rarely will euphyllia survive. Location also important. If lights too bright or too dim- they will suffer. Loaction as far as flow is also important. Too much flow will destroy them over time. The polyps should sway in the current, but not sustain so much pressure they are constantly bent over their skeleton. Too much flow will tear the polyps (worst case) and cause the polyps do not extend in the first place (best case). So, don’t give them too much flow.
Hammer is Not a starter coral and is a moderately challenging species to care for. The large and delicate polyps have a need for stable water parameters, moderate water flow, regular feedings, and the need to test for and maintain calcium levels above 400ppm which puts these great corals in the category of moderate care level.

OP
OP
Catfish31504

Catfish31504

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There a few things to know when it comes to any euphyllia care. Lighting and water flow very important when it comes to recession and polyp bailout.
I asked about age of tank because hammerand euphyllia require STABLE conditions. New tanks are subject to swings. One of them is calcium. If low or unstable, rarely will euphyllia survive. Location also important. If lights too bright or too dim- they will suffer. Loaction as far as flow is also important. Too much flow will destroy them over time. The polyps should sway in the current, but not sustain so much pressure they are constantly bent over their skeleton. Too much flow will tear the polyps (worst case) and cause the polyps do not extend in the first place (best case). So, don’t give them too much flow.
Hammer is Not a starter coral and is a moderately challenging species to care for. The large and delicate polyps have a need for stable water parameters, moderate water flow, regular feedings, and the need to test for and maintain calcium levels above 400ppm which puts these great corals in the category of moderate care level.
My tank is almost 6 months old im pretty sure or at least thats when i started recording all my water tests. I had moved the coral to a spot with very little flow compared to what it had before, maybe even too low. My water conditions have stayed pretty consistent sense ive gotten it, the only thing i noticed different is that the calcium started to get too low, but sense i started dosing calcium its been back up to 440ppm. So what i think i need to do right now is move him to a better location and directly feed him more often, anything else i can so to help him bounce back

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had moved the coral to a spot with very little flow compared to what it had before, maybe even too low.
Mine likes to lightly sway in the flow. Is that a coral beauty? Might be nipping at the coral.

OP
OP
Catfish31504

Catfish31504

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine likes to lightly sway in the flow. Is that a coral beauty? Might be nipping at the coral.
I had moved it to a spot with very little flow cause before it was in too high flow and i would find polyps floating around the tank, and no it is a dwarf angelfish he leaves everyone alone. Have had him sense the beginning

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cherub angel and reef safe

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My tank is almost 6 months old im pretty sure or at least thats when i started recording all my water tests. I had moved the coral to a spot with very little flow compared to what it had before, maybe even too low. My water conditions have stayed pretty consistent sense ive gotten it, the only thing i noticed different is that the calcium started to get too low, but sense i started dosing calcium its been back up to 440ppm. So what i think i need to do right now is move him to a better location and directly feed him more often, anything else i can so to help him bounce back
feeding is a must. Min gets Mysis shrimp 3X a week

600g progress j.jpg

OP
OP
Catfish31504

Catfish31504

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hes opened up more sense this morning but the polyps are shriveled and thin, they werent like this the last two days. It tends to just happen one day and be better the next

Attachments

• 20211024_103953.mp4
    65.1 MB

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back