Euphyllia dying - black growth on base, no extension

Nfeldman1915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

First off, thanks for your help. I have an IM 25 lagoon lit with an AI Prime HD. It's been running for 2-3 months. Had a 13.5 before this. Parameters are all normal ranges with the exception of Alk getting up to 13 the other day but it's back to 11 now.

See photos, but my hammer has some black growth on the base and the polyps are not extending. I have two SPS, torch, duncans, acans, and two other hammers. They are all doing well, just this one is acting up. The base of this one was obstructed by one of the other hammers (had a sort of bouquet) so I don't know when it started growing black but I picked it up 2-3 days ago to see why the polyps weren't extending and noticed the black growth.

Any help would be much appreciated.

IMG_8486.jpeg IMG_8485.jpeg

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the ALK swing could defiantly have done it. could also be to much light or flow.
they can close from time to time though so it could just be getting use to tank still but it looks stressed to me. the black at base might be from flesh pulling away. would say dip and put in a spot without really high direct light.
if it is the alk swing it might just be the only one or the first to show it.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back