Euphyllia ID

  • Thread starter Thread starter bluemon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

bluemon

Lazy DIY Reefer
View Badges
Joined
Jun 20, 2017
Messages
2,622
Reaction score
2,513
Location
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nice hammer/frogspawn garden brewing, so I grabbed this one the first look I had it.

It had these almost bubble coral-like bubbles I’ve not seen in other frogspawns!

Anyone know what species these guys are?

I’m assuming there’s no common name, so I would like to call them bear claw frogspawn for my sake.

This is it fully expanded and it has these variety of bubbles and combined bubbles on short stalks.

Maybe it’s a frammer or another hybrid?

It has some traits of yaeyamaensis as well

IMG_0959.jpeg
 
Looks like a hybrid between a octospawn and hammer
 
the difference between frogspawns and octospawns is that frogspawns have their secondary acrospheres on a single plane perpendicular to the tentacle stalk, while yaeyamaensis have their secondary acrospheres scattered all around the tentacle stalk

Compare:
F. yaeyamaensis | Morotai, Indonesia | Credit: Terence Zahner
1757801465722.png

F. divisa | New Caledonia | Credit: Damien Brouste
1757802013215.png
 
the difference between frogspawns and octospawns is that frogspawns have their secondary acrospheres on a single plane perpendicular to the tentacle stalk, while yaeyamaensis have their secondary acrospheres scattered all around the tentacle stalk

Compare:
F. yaeyamaensis | Morotai, Indonesia | Credit: Terence Zahner
1757801465722.png

F. divisa | New Caledonia | Credit: Damien Brouste
1757802013215.png
Yea I have a yaeyamensis, but was unsure what its hybrids were like.

Just haven’t seen frammers that look like the specimen featured above. Thanks for the info
 
I have a nice hammer/frogspawn garden brewing, so I grabbed this one the first look I had it.

It had these almost bubble coral-like bubbles I’ve not seen in other frogspawns!

Anyone know what species these guys are?

I’m assuming there’s no common name, so I would like to call them bear claw frogspawn for my sake.

This is it fully expanded and it has these variety of bubbles and combined bubbles on short stalks.

Maybe it’s a frammer or another hybrid?

It has some traits of yaeyamaensis as well

IMG_0959.jpeg
It’s a beauty. Looks like my octospawn…but then again mine may not be an octo after all!!😳😂🤪
 
It’s a beauty. Looks like my octospawn…but then again mine may not be an octo after all!!😳😂🤪
Yea octospawns can be hard to ID, sometimes they have that characteristic bubbles close to one stalk, but sometimes that gets a bit to elongated…

I lost my favorite one earlier this year, it was a shame
 
It’s a beauty. Looks like my octospawn…but then again mine may not be an octo after all!!😳😂🤪
Yea octospawns can be hard to ID, sometimes they have that characteristic bubbles close to one stalk, but sometimes that gets a bit to elongated…

I lost my favorite one earlier this year, it was a shame
Whether mine are octos or not, I love their fat, chubby stalks and how much they are filling in my E garden!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new