Euphyllia not feeling ok / not opening fully ?

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone
I've bought an euphyllia about 2-3 weeks ago in that time line it was looking pretty good BUT
Last day I've done a waterchange (usual 10%) after that I measured a phosphate of 0.2-0.18 (+dosed 2,5 ml of nopox that day) the week before that one it was only 0.05-0.02
Also I'm not sure but the flow may not be the best had to move it 1x / week in it's current position, where was looking the best so far.
The question what causes this kind of closing up. And I need help resolving this. +everything looks nice other than this coral
current parameters:
Sal.: 1.025-1.026
PO4: 0.2
NO3: 40-30

Light setting: Maxspect ethereal
cool white: ~80%
blue: 90%
green: 30%
red: 30%
warm white: 30%
+ infos
-I did have 2 zoa polyps pop
-I did move my ricordea out of it's hospital container and is relatively close to the euphyllia
-I had to remove a calcinus elegans, since they harassed my zoas

Pictures:
-flow off (notice the white thing at it's mouth, maybe coral slime from stress ?)

euphyllia 1.jpg

flow on
euphyllia 2.jpg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: If it is bail out what can I do ? According to tidal gardens it happens due to temperature swings and salinity spikes.
daily temp change: 1C ~ 33,8F
and the salinity is always between 1,024-1,025
Would these mean a threat ?
Bailout is normally quicker. Like a few hours or days.
You have a on going problem. It's been almost a month now.
It's hanging on but slowly healing.
Your rocks are stark white. Could be the biodiversity in your system just isn't there yet.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need more flow. Flow is how they rid themselves of waste.
So is it safe for me to move it ? Should I do an iodine dip ? How long will it take to heal? Will feeding it help?
Can you help me find a new place ? (my wave maker is in the top right corner on the back panel of the tank)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it safe for me to move it ? Should I do an iodine dip ? How long will it take to heal? Will feeding it help?
Can you help me find a new place ? (my wave maker is in the top right corner on the back panel of the tank)
Why do you want to move it again? Can't you adjust the flow? You've been moving around quite a bit and that's not good for it. Every time it has to readjust itself using energy. I'd say just leave it right where it is turn up the flow a little bit so it's kind of random.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you want to move it again? Can't you adjust the flow? You've been moving around quite a bit and that's not good for it. Every time it has to readjust itself using energy. I'd say just leave it right where it is turn up the flow a little bit so it's kind of random.
It's an AC powerhead but I can add my DC jebao so it makes a randomised flow, would that help? Where should I place it? (the 2nd wavemaker)
I'll post a vid with the new one
And I didn't want to change the flow because it may mess with the other corals that's what I'm afraid of

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an AC powerhead but I can add my DC jebao so it makes a randomised flow, would that help? Where should I place it? (the 2nd wavemaker)
I'll post a vid with the new one
And I didn't want to change the flow because it may mess with the other corals that's what I'm afraid of
AC powerheads can be put on a timer.
Another powerhead on opposite side will promote randomness.

Don't be afraid of messing with other coral, they may like it, no?
If it don't work for the others then change it to a different flow. It's all about trying something new to help the flow for all.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AC powerheads can be put on a timer.
Another powerhead on opposite side will promote randomness.

Don't be afraid of messing with other coral, they may like it, no?
If it don't work for the others then change it to a different flow. It's all about trying something new to help the flow for all.
I just wanted to add the 2nd wavemaker but then I saw this, it's slowly peeling off of it's skeleton.
The more interesting fact is that in my lfs they get just enough flow so the tentacles move.
IMG_20230319_123729.jpg

Upvote 0

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I somehow save the polyp remaining ?
like cut off the free part
You have all the tools in this thread. I would not cut off anything. If it's going to make it it will if it's not it won't at this point.
Your tank is still a little immature. Personally I would just give it more time before you try again another month or two. If you can pick up a piece or two of live rock to get a little biodiversity, do that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have all the tools in this thread. I would not cut off anything. If it's going to make it it will if it's not it won't at this point.
Your tank is still a little immature. Personally I would just give it more time before you try again another month or two. If you can pick up a piece or two of live rock to get a little biodiversity, do that.
Those are already planned. Okey I'll wait, until then I'll have fun with zoas/acans. My copepod population is already booming :D

Upvote 0

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.7%
Back