Euphyllia not feeling ok / not opening fully ?

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone
I've bought an euphyllia about 2-3 weeks ago in that time line it was looking pretty good BUT
Last day I've done a waterchange (usual 10%) after that I measured a phosphate of 0.2-0.18 (+dosed 2,5 ml of nopox that day) the week before that one it was only 0.05-0.02
Also I'm not sure but the flow may not be the best had to move it 1x / week in it's current position, where was looking the best so far.
The question what causes this kind of closing up. And I need help resolving this. +everything looks nice other than this coral
current parameters:
Sal.: 1.025-1.026
PO4: 0.2
NO3: 40-30

Light setting: Maxspect ethereal
cool white: ~80%
blue: 90%
green: 30%
red: 30%
warm white: 30%
+ infos
-I did have 2 zoa polyps pop
-I did move my ricordea out of it's hospital container and is relatively close to the euphyllia
-I had to remove a calcinus elegans, since they harassed my zoas

Pictures:
-flow off (notice the white thing at it's mouth, maybe coral slime from stress ?)

euphyllia 1.jpg

flow on
euphyllia 2.jpg

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it a torch? if so they can be picky and die pretty easily. how much flow is it getting? are the polyps gently swaying?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it a torch? if so they can be picky and die pretty easily. how much flow is it getting? are the polyps gently swaying?
well also the zoa palytoxins could of made it mad. are there any other corals in the tank?
Well it's tentacles are "locked" to one side (just like in the picture) So they are definetely not gently swaying.
In terms of corals: a small forest of tree corals (nephthea), 2 discosomas a rhodactis, 2 kinds of zoas and a gorgonian they are all looking great.
And I don't have any idea on what kind of is it.

Upvote 0

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a torch, very finicky the other corals you have dont seem too picky so my best guess is the palytoxin. might want to move it again (not now!) once its happy. for the palytoxin do a bigger water change, if its not the toxin it might just be mad that you moved it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a torch, very finicky the other corals you have dont seem too picky so my best guess is the palytoxin. might want to move it again (not now!) once its happy. for the palytoxin do a bigger water change, if its not the toxin it might just be mad that you moved it
If it is a torch coral... since the 1st day I've always seen it's mouth should I be worried?
+ those 2 polyps were very small like 2mms or so

Upvote 0

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i have a hammer (if you are in love with euphyllia get one of those, they are super hardy) and i have seen its mouth once but if you are seeing it constantly then not good.

Upvote 0

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much did you buy it for? you might just want to take it back for a store credit and get a hammer... if you solve this problem in a month it will have another

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i have a hammer (if you are in love with euphyllia get one of those, they are super hardy) and i have seen its mouth once but if you are seeing it constantly then not good.

how much did you buy it for? you might just want to take it back for a store credit and get a hammer... if you solve this problem in a month it will have another
16$, I'm open for any idea.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi everyone
I've bought an euphyllia about 2-3 weeks ago in that time line it was looking pretty good BUT
Last day I've done a waterchange (usual 10%) after that I measured a phosphate of 0.2-0.18 (+dosed 2,5 ml of nopox that day) the week before that one it was only 0.05-0.02
Also I'm not sure but the flow may not be the best had to move it 1x / week in it's current position, where was looking the best so far.
The question what causes this kind of closing up. And I need help resolving this. +everything looks nice other than this coral
current parameters:
Sal.: 1.025-1.026
PO4: 0.2
NO3: 40-30

Light setting: Maxspect ethereal
cool white: ~80%
green: 30%
red: 30%
warm white: 30%
+ infos
-I did have 2 zoa polyps pop
-I did move my ricordea out of it's hospital container and is relatively close to the euphyllia
-I had to remove a calcinus elegans, since they harassed my zoas

Pictures:
-flow off (notice the white thing at it's mouth, maybe coral slime from stress ?)

euphyllia 1.jpg

flow on
euphyllia 2.jpg
No cipro best left to humans and an alternative- Not solution. First issue I see is location- They are best at upper half of tank where they receive medium light and water flow. Too much flow and they can get stressed and even tear away from skeleton. Too little flow and they shrink.
Medium light necessary for their energy source known as Zooxanthellae but too much light , they expel this zooxanthellae which many think its pooping.
Your Phosphate is high which is one of the culprits- best range .04- .08
Calcium should be no less than 380 for their skeletal health
Nitrate no higher than 25 - yours a bit high

This IS NOT ZOA palytoxins and mainly water quality.

For lights adjust to this and see if torch responds

cool white: ~60
green: 10
red: 15
warm white: 20%

This is Some of my euphyllia:

600g progress j.jpg

Upvote 0

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back