Euphyllia not feeling ok / not opening fully ?

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone
I've bought an euphyllia about 2-3 weeks ago in that time line it was looking pretty good BUT
Last day I've done a waterchange (usual 10%) after that I measured a phosphate of 0.2-0.18 (+dosed 2,5 ml of nopox that day) the week before that one it was only 0.05-0.02
Also I'm not sure but the flow may not be the best had to move it 1x / week in it's current position, where was looking the best so far.
The question what causes this kind of closing up. And I need help resolving this. +everything looks nice other than this coral
current parameters:
Sal.: 1.025-1.026
PO4: 0.2
NO3: 40-30

Light setting: Maxspect ethereal
cool white: ~80%
blue: 90%
green: 30%
red: 30%
warm white: 30%
+ infos
-I did have 2 zoa polyps pop
-I did move my ricordea out of it's hospital container and is relatively close to the euphyllia
-I had to remove a calcinus elegans, since they harassed my zoas

Pictures:
-flow off (notice the white thing at it's mouth, maybe coral slime from stress ?)

euphyllia 1.jpg

flow on
euphyllia 2.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
When should I expect changes ? I moved the coral to a spot with better flow and a bit more light + I'm planning to buy carbon 2-3 days later
24-48 hours

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24-48 hours
Hey ! So today I took a look at it's tissue under it's tentacles (at the connection of the skeleton and the polyps) and I saw some receding I did measure phosphates today still 0.2 regardless of NOPOX. + I rearranged my flow for this one coral, can it have bad effects on the tank (10months old tank)

Upvote 0

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop the nopox for now.
Do you run a skimmer?
Did you adjust your lights as vette suggested?
Where is the coral now? Did you move it?

I find that mine like to be protected against a wall. One side against/near a wall will help if you can't adjust the flow power. Random flow so they sway.
You can always shoot the power head directly at the wall to break it up and still keep flow.

Receeding flesh is not great. Where are your other parameters? And are they stable?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop the nopox for now.
Do you run a skimmer?
Did you adjust your lights as vette suggested?
Where is the coral now? Did you move it?

I find that mine like to be protected against a wall. One side against/near a wall will help if you can't adjust the flow power. Random flow so they sway.
You can always shoot the power head directly at the wall to break it up and still keep flow.

Receeding flesh is not great. Where are your other parameters? And are they stable?
Yes I do run a skimmer. Yes I adjusted the lights. Yes I did move the coral a bit higher up. And I did tweak a bit on my flow.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey ! So today I took a look at it's tissue under it's tentacles (at the connection of the skeleton and the polyps) and I saw some receding I did measure phosphates today still 0.2 regardless of NOPOX. + I rearranged my flow for this one coral, can it have bad effects on the tank (10months old tank)
NoPox is not the answer and may be causing issue in part. I would suggest getting a water test at an LFS that does Not use Api kits and have them test your: ammonia-nitrate-ph-Phosphate and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours also assuring youre not getting false readings.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NoPox is not the answer and may be causing issue in part. I would suggest getting a water test at an LFS that does Not use Api kits and have them test your: ammonia-nitrate-ph-Phosphate and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours also assuring youre not getting false readings.
got it tho they don't have ammonia test + they use either Hanna or salifer

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
got it tho they don't have ammonia test + they use either Hanna or salifer
Those are good test. Did they say how nitrate and phosphate looked?

Upvote 0

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so that high of carbonate isn't that bad ? I know it should be 7-8 max 9

Not necessarily. I personally keep mine at 8, but keeping your dKh anywhere in the 7-12.5 range can be okay. Best is to keep that number, wherever you fall in that range, as stable as possible.

To me, it looks like your (maybe) torch is dealing with some bad bacteria, which can be exacerbated by carbon dosing (like Nopox).

Do you know where your pH goes throughout the day? Do you run a skimmer? What's your normal water change regimine?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily. I personally keep mine at 8, but keeping your dKh anywhere in the 7-12.5 range can be okay. Best is to keep that number, wherever you fall in that range, as stable as possible.

To me, it looks like your (maybe) torch is dealing with some bad bacteria, which can be exacerbated by carbon dosing (like Nopox).

Do you know where your pH goes throughout the day? Do you run a skimmer? What's your normal water change regimine?
10%/week, YES I do run a skimmer and I can't measure PH (I used universal indicator paper once and it said 6-7 but it was an ultra low grade product)

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
so that high of carbonate isn't that bad ? I know it should be 7-8 max 9
actually range is 8-11dkh and never go by mine or others alk level as each will differ based on consumption level and number/type of reef (mixed, SPS dominant, etc) 10 is acceptable but realize you have to balance with calcium levels as they work together

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually range is 8-11dkh and never go by mine or others alk level as each will differ based on consumption level and number/type of reef (mixed, SPS dominant, etc) 10 is acceptable but realize you have to balance with calcium levels as they work together
I had to move it again, I do see an improvement + I can't see the mouths anymore but It's still not opening fully and I have no idea why.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I had to move it again, I do see an improvement + I can't see the mouths anymore but It's still not opening fully and I have no idea why.
New location - I would give it at least a day or two to see how it adapts . Constant moving or changes will only stress it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New location - I would give it at least a day or two to see how it adapts . Constant moving or changes will only stress it
I've got three questions 1st What PAR would you recommend ? I did some research, some said 50-150 and others 150- 250
2nd Which are the signs for too high flow or too low flow and the same with light.

3rd I'm starting to get interest in diping it would you recommend it and if yes what to dip in or it would worsten it's current state?

Upvote 0

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back