Euphyllia not happy, please help!

Dan3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any help is much appreciated.

Quick background. 20 gallon tank: 2 torches, frogspawn, hammer, acans, blasto, candy cane, scolly, lobo, zoas, and 2 large leathers, 2 clowns, various inverts. Skipped a couple water changes and noticed my euphyllia were not opening as much and checked dKH was around 6. I have been dosing with sodium bicarb the last couple of days and now up to 8. I measured Red sea blue bucket and was at 7 dkH so I have been dosing that to 9 before water change. I would like to maintain 9 dkH

Params:
34 ppt refractometer
ammonia 0ppm
ph around 8.1, red sea, difficult to tell with the color
Nitrate 2 ppm.
phosphate .08 ppm. Was .01 and have been feeding more to up nutrients
dkH 8, red sea
Calcium 420 ppm Salifert
Mag 1350 ppm Salifert
temp 78 deg

Not sure why my euphyllia are still not coming around. The rest seem to be doing alright, but not spectacular. I have already lost a head of purple hammer which was pretty far receded and tossed it. I had a head of green splatter also going down hill and also tossed it. No signs of BJD though, mainly euphyllia just not nearly as expanding as much as they used to. 1 torch seems to be doing okay but the other is wilting. There is some brown stringy waste coming from my 3 head hammer at times which I have seen from it before after feeding reef roids.

Could it possibly be due to the large leathers? It was never an issue before. The only other change was adding some carib sea oolite to the sand bed (mixed with previous bed) but euphyllia were not doing well before that. Not really sure what to do at this point, just do not want to loose any more coral. Should I start doing more water changes or just let the tank be?

drewwCh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might want to raise nitrates a bit. don't make fast changes to alk, you want to keep it stable, focus more on stability than chasing numbers. oh and don't throw out any seemingly dead skeleton, i've read that euphyllia may come back to life after a while

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back