Euphyllia, ongoing losses over time (6mo to a year)

  • Thread starter Thread starter BryanM
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BryanM

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 27, 2024
Messages
8,908
Reaction score
10,992
Location
Morgan Hill
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The first was due to BJD, and I chalked up losses after that to bjd as well, as I had all these torches close to each other on a rock, and kept losing them, one a week for a month.

But since then we've lost more. I have a softball size hammer that's lost 3 heads over the last couple weeks, just went from perfect to losing heads. No slimy issues, I've never seen a flatworm in my tank.

Two mornings ago one head on a torch, completely gone overnight.

Has anyone gone through similar AND figured out a reason why?

FWIW, I have a frogspawn that I almost yanked it was looking so sad an deflated for two months, and he's now huge!

So weird.
 
Sounds like some bacterial thing going from one coral to another , could be BJD. I would say to run an in tank CIPRO Dose over 3-5 days To reset the bacterial biome into a more diverse one
 
Sounds like some bacterial thing going from one coral to another , could be BJD. I would say to run an in tank CIPRO Dose over 3-5 days To reset the bacterial biome into a more diverse one
I did a whole tank treatment with Coral Infection Eliminator a couple days ago just in case.
 
I did a whole tank treatment with Coral Infection Eliminator a couple days ago just in case.
Awesome , I’m a fan of diversifing the bacterial biomes as I think it can stagnate leading to BJD, whether that be buy adding new live rock , anti biotics, miracle mud , adding new corals
 
Sounds like some bacterial thing going from one coral to another , could be BJD. I would say to run an in tank CIPRO Dose over 3-5 days To reset the bacterial biome into a more diverse one
Just curious as how adding an antibiotic to kill bacteria is going to reset the bacterial biome into a more diverse one. Not saying it won't help with the problem in question.
 
The first was due to BJD, and I chalked up losses after that to bjd as well, as I had all these torches close to each other on a rock, and kept losing them, one a week for a month.

But since then we've lost more. I have a softball size hammer that's lost 3 heads over the last couple weeks, just went from perfect to losing heads. No slimy issues, I've never seen a flatworm in my tank.

Two mornings ago one head on a torch, completely gone overnight.

Has anyone gone through similar AND figured out a reason why?

FWIW, I have a frogspawn that I almost yanked it was looking so sad an deflated for two months, and he's now huge!

So weird.
ICP?
 
Just curious as how adding an antibiotic to kill bacteria is going to reset the bacterial biome into a more diverse one. Not saying it won't help with the problem in question.
From an old thread with broadcasting dosing CIPRO the OP did an aquabiomics test before and after and found that his bacterial diversity was low prior to it a very vast after. I think of it as if no changes are done, select bacteria can slowly outcompete and take over leading to less diversity. Anti biotics reset that
 
Do you dose any trace elements or aminos?
TM A and K, will be switching to moonshiners after these results come back.
I’ll be curious to see if Icp comes back with anything interesting. Good luck
How’s your flow? Looking at pics on your other thread it looks like night be time to clean your pumps. I clean mine every couple months and it makes a big difference.
 
How’s your flow? Looking at pics on your other thread it looks like night be time to clean your pumps. I clean mine every couple months and it makes a big difference.
Flow is good really. But I admin to lack of pump cleaning.

They are getting replaced this evening with Maxspect 350's, assuming I purchasing the current cable to hook them up to my waveengine. With that, I will attempt to clean them more than never 😱
 
Do you have any peppermint shrimp in the system, or something that might be irritating them at night (clownfish trying to host them etc).

I have had a similar experiance to you in the past, even losing all my soft corals at one point, but now that my tank has stabilised I have had zero loss - the only thing I could put it down to was a bacterial issue that resolved itself overtime. I did add a heap of live rock into my sump during this time which probably helped with this.
 
Do you have any peppermint shrimp in the system, or something that might be irritating them at night (clownfish trying to host them etc).

I have had a similar experiance to you in the past, even losing all my soft corals at one point, but now that my tank has stabilised I have had zero loss - the only thing I could put it down to was a bacterial issue that resolved itself overtime. I did add a heap of live rock into my sump during this time which probably helped with this.
I don't have any shrimp as my last cleaner shrimp went missing two weeks ago

I do have a bonded pair of clowns, never seen them near any of the hammers, torches, etc. Those two goofballs just swim in the upper left rear of the tank, and eat when its feeding time.
 
I’m a nobody and don’t claim to be an expert by any stretch,


But yes; I too have been experiencing this over the last 2ish months. I ended up losing in the ball park 20-30 torch heads to it and about 5-10 hammers. Inexplicable and didn’t have any true characteristics of BJD.

Ultimately I elected to do what someone in this thread recommended, an in tank cipro treatment of 5mg/gallon once daily for 6 days dtraight, I am now 72 hours outside of treatment, and have not lost a head in roughly 5 days, so 🤞; I just assume it’s some bacteria causing the problem and the safest option is to just hit it with some antibiotics. Ultimately, everything in my tank looks about 10x better now… I’m rambling; give it a shot though friend, ain’t got nothing to lose.
 
Sounds like some bacterial thing going from one coral to another , could be BJD. I would say to run an in tank CIPRO Dose over 3-5 days To reset the bacterial biome into a more diverse one
I did a whole tank treatment with Coral Infection Eliminator a couple days ago just in case.
Cipro treatment is indeed likely the most effective thing to do.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new