Euphyllia receding

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Seems my euphyllia corals are receding from the bottom... Is there a bacteria or something that can cause this as it only seems to be affecting euphyllia.

I have had this tank running almost 2 years now. I tried euphyllia in it once about 8 months in. All the euphyllia receded slowly until they died.
I have another tank upstairs that is doing great for 3 years... They are almost run at the same parameters. I have fragged some euphyllia from my upstairs tank to try in the downstairs tank again... And the euphyllia is all receding.

I have acans,blastos,zoas, favias, Duncan's, mushrooms and anemones and they are all good. Puffy as can be.

Any suggestions as I would love to keep euphyllia in this tank!
Thank you.
Paul.
PXL_20230108_143008468.jpg
PXL_20230108_142952619.jpg

OP
OP
Paul31733

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an f.y.i. the polyps are usually inflated fully but I closed them up to get picture of the recession.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
There are all types of possibilities, from parameters of your chemistry, to bacteria or some other sort of pest.
I was having some (but not all) of my hammers/frogspawns and Duncan's looking off in my 55g, so I took a closer look.
My issue is flatworms.
20230108_094246.jpg
20230108_073905.jpg

OP
OP
Paul31733

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are all types of possibilities, from parameters of your chemistry, to bacteria or some other sort of pest.
I was having some (but not all) of my hammers/frogspawns and Duncan's looking off in my 55g, so I took a closer look.
My issue is flatworms.
20230108_094246.jpg
20230108_073905.jpg
Thanks for the reply. I am doubting it is parameters as the tank I took them from is the same parameters...even the same salt. My Duncan's are doing great.
Nitrate 18
Phos. 0.1
Alk. 8-9
Mag. 1350
Calc. 450
Salinity 1.025
Temp 76-77

Fragged then because they were growing too big upstairs in these same parameters.

I do not see any pests looking at them but I will check again.

Is there any antibiotics dip or tank treatment to deal with bacterial issue?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone. Seems my euphyllia corals are receding from the bottom... Is there a bacteria or something that can cause this as it only seems to be affecting euphyllia.

I have had this tank running almost 2 years now. I tried euphyllia in it once about 8 months in. All the euphyllia receded slowly until they died.
I have another tank upstairs that is doing great for 3 years... They are almost run at the same parameters. I have fragged some euphyllia from my upstairs tank to try in the downstairs tank again... And the euphyllia is all receding.

I have acans,blastos,zoas, favias, Duncan's, mushrooms and anemones and they are all good. Puffy as can be.

Thank you.
Paul.
This is not a flatworm issue but often with recession, there is stress. The stress is due to extremes. . . . extreme light and/or water flow. Hammers are not picky where they are placed but lower third of tank is often the best location due to lower light and flow area
While they need light for production of their energy source known as zooxanthellae, too much light will cause them to expel the zooxanthellae. Moderate light is adequate.
Too much flow causes the flesh to tear off the skeleton or get bacterial issues including brown jelly disease. They should be waving in the current but not bent over the skeleton of bouncing vigorously which leads to bailout.
They require calcium no less than 380 for their skeletal health.
Other causes would be high salinity, elevated nitrate and phosphate

OP
OP
Paul31733

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not a flatworm issue but often with recession, there is stress. The stress is due to extremes. . . . extreme light and/or water flow. Hammers are not picky where they are placed but lower third of tank is often the best location due to lower light and flow area
While they need light for production of their energy source known as zooxanthellae, too much light will cause them to expel the zooxanthellae. Moderate light is adequate.
Too much flow causes the flesh to tear off the skeleton or get bacterial issues including brown jelly disease. They should be waving in the current but not bent over the skeleton of bouncing vigorously which leads to bailout.
They require calcium no less than 380 for their skeletal health.
Other causes would be high salinity, elevated nitrate and phosphate
Thank you for your detailed response. They were acclimated on the sandbed and I just moved them up higher today. I also will turn the flow down.

Is there a dip I could try to stop the receding or will it possibly stop on its own?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for your detailed response. They were acclimated on the sandbed and I just moved them up higher today. I also will turn the flow down.

Is there a dip I could try to stop the receding or will it possibly stop on its own?
Dip wont do anything for tissue recession unless there is a bacterial or bug issue

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I have a similar issue except with my acans. They do great in my frag tank. Trrrible in my dt. I’ve tried multiple times moving them in the tank and swapping back and forth after weeks of acclimation. All other corals do well

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Would ICP test show bacterial infection?
Likely not however would identify contributors of stress such as elevated iodine, iron,mag, etc

OP
OP
Paul31733

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just checked my par with a seneye. It was much higher than I thought. They were probably getting 200 par. I lowered lights to 100-150 par. Should that be ok levels?

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you.
Paul.
Euphyllia does not take too well with bottoms other than sand. Their membrane is very thin and sensitive. If you are using coarser than sand then I would set the coral in a shallow container full of aragonite sand.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back