Euphyllia salvageable or too far gone?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AndyR83
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

AndyR83

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 2, 2019
Messages
67
Reaction score
44
Location
Northern RI
What state or country do you live in
Rhode Island
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to an unfortunate kalkwasser mishap, the alkalinity in my office tank at work spiked last week. I was out of the office for a couple of days and an ATO issue caused a kalk overdose. I became aware of the event around 36 hours after it occurred, and at that time my Alk was 13. This is a sharp/rapid increase from my normal baseline of about 8.9. Calcium was bumped up a bit too (475) but I’m thinking that’s likely not as damaging of a change from the normal level (440.)

The two most significant casualties were a fungia plate coral I had added a few months ago and a decent size frogspawn.

The plate coral looks like a goner:
C29793DF-0386-479C-ABA6-97ECF892C05A.jpeg


What I’m really wondering is whether this Frogspawn is also toast. I really love this coral and I’m trying to determine whether it’s likely to bounce back from this or not.


As of today parameters are:

Temp 80.2
Salinity 1.025
pH 8.2
Alk 11.9 (I’m slowly decreasing it)
Nitrate 2.5
Phos 0.14
Calcium 450
Mag 1320

Thank you!
 
Not gonna lie, that thing looks like its been toast for a while now- Plate coral

The frogspawn is suffering from a bacterial infection most likely.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new