Help with 0.0 Nitrate Levels

Drs7ayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

This is my first post here so please let me know if any additional information is needed! I’m new to the reefing hobby and am having trouble obtaining detectable levels of nitrate. The tank is slightly more than 4 months old. I have read similar posts about this from other users, but wanted some feedback on my specific case because I already tried dosing nitrate once and it seemed to cause problems.

Tank: Red Sea Reefer S 1000, 210G display 55g sump for 265G total

Filtration: ReefMat 1200, Red Sea RSK 900 protein skimmer

Hannah checkers used for all measurements.

Started the tank with dry rock, lots of microbacter 7, and 2 maroon clowns. Ammonia/Nitrite were 0, and had 3.2 Nitrate after about a month. I added some Banggai cardinalfish, some leather corral, and one LPS. Over the next few days my nitrates rapidly dropped. I posted on reddit and multiple people suggested dosing some NeoNitro and stressed the importance of not letting nitrate get to 0. After dosing the NeoNitro for a few days my tank rapidly grew what I belive was diatoms and cyano. My local fish store recommended I stop dosing and my tank experienced a severe algae/bacterial bloom. Ammonia spiked, nitrates went to 0.0 and I lost 2 of the cardinal fish. Multiple 20% water changes and about 10 days later the water cleared and ammonia went back to 0. Since then its been almost 2 months with no detectable nitrate. Phosphate has been in the 0.03-0.1 range with GFO. LFS suggested adding more fish as due to the size of the tank there probably just wasn’t enough waste to keep nitrate up. The tank currently has 2 benggai cardinals, 2 maroon clowns, 1 hippo tang, 1 brown powder tang, 4 anthias, 1 hawkfish, and some more softies and a Duncan.

I use a Plank auto feeder to feed every hour for 14 feedings a day, as well as 2 frozen cubes per day with a mix flake and pellet food. It is an absolutely massive amount of food I’m dumping into this tank, but still 0.0 nitrates. I’m also continuing to dose the microbacter 7

Despite my 0.0 nitrate, I have only minimal red slime algae. There is now some green algae that is starting to grow on the rocks. I have to clean the glass every 2-3 days due to build up. My snails and tangs do an OK job of keeping up with it, but I likely need to increase my CUC. I had some scarlet hermits, but since I added them to the tank I’ve been unable to find them. I dose Alk, Calcium, and mag, and have been able to keep the levels pretty stable.

Current measurements:

Salinity: 1.025, Temp 77.9F, pH 8.1, Alk 8.9, Ca 450, Mag 1320, Phos 0.03, Nitrate 0.0, Ammonia 0.0

Overall, my corrals seems healthy, my Zoanthids maybe have lost a bit of color, but they are still making new heads. The Duncan and Goni are open and growing and seem healthy. I spot feed them reef chili 2-3 times a week. I tried bypassing my reefmat filter for 24 hours and had a significant increase in algae formation, but still 0 nitrates.

Question: Should I dose NeoNitro again?

I suspect the problem is my Reefmat and Protein skimmer are simply “overfiltering” the tank. My thought process is that because algae is forming there are clearly nitrates in the water, but they are just all being used up. I don’t want them to out compete the corral though. I don’t want to have to dose nitrate forever as I’m a “less is more” believer and want this tank to last for 10+ years. I am aware I probably added too much too soon, but this is where I am now.

Should I just keep doing what I'm doing and give it more time?

Advice from experienced reefers is greatly appreciated!

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not remove the reefmat temporarily and/or put your skimmer on a timer so it only runs periodically.

Your tank is super new still so I don't agree with adding more fish yet.

I agree to double check that nitrate reading with a different test before doing anything drastic.

OP
OP
Drs7ayer

Drs7ayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you verified with something like redsea nitrate pro?
Theres a chart for ULR if below 1
Thanks!

I did verify with my LFS, and on their test its 0.0 as well. I'm not sure what test they used though. Say I do the ULR nitrate test and I do have detectable nitrates but they are very very low. Would you make any changes in that senario?

OP
OP
Drs7ayer

Drs7ayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not remove the reefmat temporarily and/or put your skimmer on a timer so it only runs periodically.

Your tank is super new still so I don't agree with adding more fish yet.

I agree to double check that nitrate reading with a different test before doing anything drastic.
When I bypassed the reefmat for 12 hours the water started to get cloudy and I had a significant increase in algae growth.

I don't want to cause another ammonia spike by decreasing my filtration too rapidly. I think at this point I got myself into trouble by making too many changes at once. Running the protein skimmer on a timer is a good idea, I doubt that would have any significant effect on the oxygen levels as long as I have good surface agitation right? Would you do like 6 on 6 off or just run it during the day and turn it off at night?

OP
OP
Drs7ayer

Drs7ayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what the algea growth looks like currently. There are some bubbles but it’s pretty green.

04754BB2-5A9A-4ED4-BA4E-C03A54215582.jpeg

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bypassed the reefmat for 12 hours the water started to get cloudy and I had a significant increase in algae growth.

I don't want to cause another ammonia spike by decreasing my filtration too rapidly. I think at this point I got myself into trouble by making too many changes at once. Running the protein skimmer on a timer is a good idea, I doubt that would have any significant effect on the oxygen levels as long as I have good surface agitation right? Would you do like 6 on 6 off or just run it during the day and turn it off at night?

Algae growth is a normal part of new tanks, especially when started with dry rock.

I'd run it at night before the day. It'll help stabilize ph.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank does not NEED nitrate for anything but anaerobic bacteria. There is a long thread in this forum that you can browse through, if you want. If you keep feeding your fish, the corals and other things can get their nitrogen from other forms than nitrate.

Just keep feeding your fish and don't sweat this. Stop doing things. An ecosystem needs to develop. Most of what you do to interfere will need to be repaid many times over by the bacteria and balance that you disrupt. Keep your salinity, temp and big 2 in check and nothing else. Let nature get to work... it is gonna be ugly, but that is the price for starting with dry/dead rock.

If you want to move this along, then order a 20-40 pounds of real live rock from Florida. It might be cheaper than all of the chemicals and meddling that some do... and more effective.

starrynight99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as I have the same issue with my tank which is similar age and size to yours.
I only have 5 small fish too but planning on getting more soon.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If nitrate is undetectable, I'd either feed more, or dose amino acids, sodium nitrate, or ammonia.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,

This is my first post here so please let me know if any additional information is needed! I’m new to the reefing hobby and am having trouble obtaining detectable levels of nitrate. The tank is slightly more than 4 months old. I have read similar posts about this from other users, but wanted some feedback on my specific case because I already tried dosing nitrate once and it seemed to cause problems.

Started the tank with dry rock, lots of microbacter 7, and 2 maroon clowns. Ammonia/Nitrite were 0, and had 3.2 Nitrate after about a month. I added some Banggai cardinalfish, some leather corral, and one LPS. Over the next few days my nitrates rapidly dropped. I posted on reddit and multiple people suggested dosing some NeoNitro and stressed the importance of not letting nitrate get to 0. After dosing the NeoNitro for a few days my tank rapidly grew what I belive was diatoms and cyano. My local fish store recommended I stop dosing and my tank experienced a severe algae/bacterial bloom. Ammonia spiked, nitrates went to 0.0 and I lost 2 of the cardinal fish. Multiple 20% water changes and about 10 days later the water cleared and ammonia went back to 0. Since then its been almost 2 months with no detectable nitrate. Phosphate has been in the 0.03-0.1 range with GFO. LFS suggested adding more fish as due to the size of the tank there probably just wasn’t enough waste to keep nitrate up. The tank currently has 2 benggai cardinals, 2 maroon clowns, 1 hippo tang, 1 brown powder tang, 4 anthias, 1 hawkfish, and some more softies and a Duncan.

I use a Plank auto feeder to feed every hour for 14 feedings a day, as well as 2 frozen cubes per day with a mix flake and pellet food. It is an absolutely massive amount of food I’m dumping into this tank, but still 0.0 nitrates. I’m also continuing to dose the microbacter 7

Despite my 0.0 nitrate, I have only minimal red slime algae. There is now some green algae that is starting to grow on the rocks. I have to clean the glass every 2-3 days due to build up. My snails and tangs do an OK job of keeping up with it, but I likely need to increase my CUC. I had some scarlet hermits, but since I added them to the tank I’ve been unable to find them. I dose Alk, Calcium, and mag, and have been able to keep the levels pretty stable.

Current measurements:

Salinity: 1.025, Temp 77.9F, pH 8.1, Alk 8.9, Ca 450, Mag 1320, Phos 0.03, Nitrate 0.0, Ammonia 0.0

Overall, my corrals seems healthy, my Zoanthids maybe have lost a bit of color, but they are still making new heads. The Duncan and Goni are open and growing and seem healthy. I spot feed them reef chili 2-3 times a week. I tried bypassing my reefmat filter for 24 hours and had a significant increase in algae formation, but still 0 nitrates.

I suspect the problem is my Reefmat and Protein skimmer are simply “overfiltering” the tank. My thought process is that because algae is forming there are clearly nitrates in the water, but they are just all being used up. I don’t want them to out compete the corral though. I don’t want to have to dose nitrate forever as I’m a “less is more” believer and want this tank to last for 10+ years. I am aware I probably added too much too soon, but this is where I am now.

You need no real help - feed more - they will rise. Don't worry- most of the corals , etc we keep are not so susceptible

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Current measurements:

I think the low nitrate is not caused by the skimmer or by mechanical filtration. This notion exists because the hobby has a incomplete understanding how well bacteria and micro algae remove carbon, nitrogen and phosphorous from the water. Water in new systems with light bioloads are easily kept depleted of nutrients regardless of the equipment attached. So keep doing what you are doing but be aware that the coral might need a boost in nitrogen. Most folks dose nitrate, a few ammonium chloride.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the low nitrate is not caused by the skimmer or by mechanical filtration. This notion exists because the hobby has a incomplete understanding how well bacteria and micro algae remove carbon, nitrogen and phosphorous from the water. Water in new systems with light bioloads are easily kept depleted of nutrients regardless of the equipment attached. So keep doing what you are doing but be aware that the coral might need a boost in nitrogen. Most folks dose nitrate, a few ammonium chloride.
Maybe a simpler way would be to say - a skimmer does not reduce nitrate to zero.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back