Euro brace blocking HOB skimmer

ThinStripePets

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 29, 2022
Messages
3
Reaction score
26
Location
RDU, North Carolina
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a marineland 40 gallon breeder, it’s my first saltwater tank. I have the marineland filter, but I wanted to get a protein skimmer as well, and I can’t get any of them to fit over the trim. Specifically, it’s the lip of the top black trim that the glass lid sits on. Is it okay to trim that lip back, while leaving the portion that fits over the top of the glass? Or is it too structural?
Thanks!
 
I wouldn’t trim or cut into that black trim if it were me. If it’s a 40 breeder I’m assuming it doesn’t have any cross brace so that black plastic is essentially your bracing to keep structural integrity. I think you’re playing with fire tampering with it. Just my two cents. What hob skimmer are you trying to fit specifically?
 
1673313032568.png
aquamaxx hob-1 - just one example; it can be done...
 
Hi, I have a marineland 40 gallon breeder, it’s my first saltwater tank. I have the marineland filter, but I wanted to get a protein skimmer as well, and I can’t get any of them to fit over the trim. Specifically, it’s the lip of the top black trim that the glass lid sits on. Is it okay to trim that lip back, while leaving the portion that fits over the top of the glass? Or is it too structural?
Thanks!
Yes, you can trim the inside ledge/lip.
 
^^ good reader :)
Lol!

I would not recommend removing it from the entire perimeter, but taking off a little here and there to place equipment is fine.

I used a Dremel.
 
I did it to my 75 gallon 2 years ago, no issues with movement or bowing.
I used a jigsaw to cut mine out, but if you have a Dremel with a good grinding wheel it should be good, if not better.

The 2 mounting bolts on the Aquamaxx 1.5 actually work perfectly like this, as they go directly underneath the plastic lip and fasten directly to the glass.
IMG_20230109_202123.jpg
IMG_20230109_202650.jpg
IMG_20230109_202925.jpg
IMG_20230109_202708.jpg
IMG_20230109_203308.jpg
IMG_20230109_203646.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 8.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new