Evaporation

Napoliandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.
I have a simple question that maybe someone can help me with. I recently changed my 30 gallon rimless into an all in one. I run it at 400-500 gph. It’s cycling right now. I noticed a lot of evaporation going on. At this rate I am filling it more so than the 37 gallon. I’m thinking the flow is too much. Am I correct on this.
thanks ahead of time.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evaporation occurs when to much heat or light to cause water to turn into oxygen, both of these will be a factor (layman's terms)

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.
I have a simple question that maybe someone can help me with. I recently changed my 30 gallon rimless into an all in one. I run it at 400-500 gph. It’s cycling right now. I noticed a lot of evaporation going on. At this rate I am filling it more so than the 37 gallon. I’m thinking the flow is too much. Am I correct on this.
thanks ahead of time.
I don't know if flow is too much, but increased flow and surface turbulence will increase evaporation due to greater surface area on turbulent water versus still/stagnant.
...this is similar to why stirring helps cool down a hot fluid: increased surface area for heat exchange (though this case is about heat exchange on the surface area rather than evaporation).

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evaporation occurs when to much heat or light to cause water to turn into oxygen, both of these will be a factor (layman's terms)
Can you explain what you mean about turning into oxygen? I though most water losses due to evaporation were as water vapor adding to the humidity rather than water loss due to conversion to hydrogen and oxygen?

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain what you mean about turning into oxygen? I though most water losses due to evaporation were as water vapor adding to the humidity rather than water loss due to conversion to hydrogen and oxygen?
I'll try my best, water in ponds or puddle are at a stand still, so your aquarium is a pond or puddle, then you add movement and light this causes the water to move which creates energy/ heat between the molecules like.... Try it now (rubb hands together very fast) friction = heat,. Heat rises that turns into a small bubble = evaporation, water loss.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone.
thanks ahead of time.
Ive always experienced evaporation. Not unusual to add a gallon every other day

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try my best, water in ponds or puddle are at a stand still, so your aquarium is a pond or puddle, then you add movement and light this causes the water to move which creates energy/ heat between the molecules like.... Try it now (rubb hands together very fast) friction = heat,. Heat rises that turns into a small bubble = evaporation, water loss.
Oh, I understand evaporation, I was just curious why you mentioned it turning to oxygen. I think I misunderstood and thought you meant the water hydrolyzed into oxygen and hydrogen gas.

Indeed, as you mentioned, heat and movement increase evaporation.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Uh, I don't think this is how it works.

Aside from the O2 issue, water flow has very little to do with evaporation unless the flow is so low that a film of organic matter builds up on the surface.

Air flow, the relatively humidity of the air, and the water temperature are the biggest drivers.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.
thanks ahead of time.

Most reef tanks evaporate 1-4% daily. How much are you actually evaporating?

Water flow should not be judged too high or low based on evaporation.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back