Ever been called the wrong name?

ProxyAquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, what a topic, I sympathize.

However, my name is "james" or "Jim" if you wish. In pre-school, I was thrilled. Three letters, I got this. With time I was so perplexed at how many other didn't get it.

There are some who love to play with other's names. "Jimbo" is a common example. "Jimbo" just seems to just lower one's IQ to critical levels. Never good in the medical profession. ;)

There are some who just make up names when there memory fails. My favorite from my first job, McDonald's, was "Igor." Yes, when the manager could not remember, he made one up. I even got the name plate.

Then there are the names given to you for your own protection. In residency, my dorm colleague told me to wear a name plate of a former resident when going in the prison ward. For three years, I was a genetic impossibility named 'Dr. Chen." That said my first patient was a nationally known serial killer who threatened to kill me if released. Poor Dr. Chen ...

As a Scout leader, I get the wonders of naming from teens. But no, ..... The forgettable is replaced by "Dude," "Bro," ....

For more more irony Suzi, I get infusions monthly. I'm happy to not be recognized as "Dr. Jim," and just sit in my chair with music on the headphones and cinematic reef videos on the laptop. The nurses are great and know my name. The other patients just say, "What channel is the Fish Guy watching?"

Keep fighting the good fight; thanks for your medical service; enjoy being "Suzie;"
Jim

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I'm not new, but I'm introducing myself anyway!
I'm Suzi, and I'm a very busy infusion nurse working 2 jobs.
In my full-time job, I have about a 50-100 patients I treat per month.
That's a lot of people! The majority of them are senior citizens, and they can't always remember my name (I pride myself in being able to remember most of theirs!)
I've been called Judy or Stacy quite often!
Once I was called Jennifer, by a patient I've treated dozens of times lol
Today, I got Robin!

I never correct them, however. I know they know who I am; I'm the only pink & purple haired, tattooed nurse at the practice!
Some patients don't even bother anymore, and just call me Mermaid.
That's all, just wanted to share

Snapchat-1421319163.jpg

Tell me what wrong names you've been called!
Hi Suzi!
My best high school married a Susy so maybe I'll be able to remember your name?

I am older and my memory has been failing for 20 years since I had a tramatic brain injury of some kind? Not sure if it was the insane party lifestyle or the divorce stress & court appointed separation from our daughter or just bad genetic disposition but I started noticing that it was slipping gears in my early 20's and all that to say I am familiar with being able to forget or confuse names from the very first meeting.

It is interestng (to me) that I have noticed and remember your posts here at Reef2Reef in combination with your image over OrchidMiss? How come somethings I remember and others I can't?

My wife had cancer 10+ years ago and she started having Chemo brain from the process and that has put huge stress on us here at home. I couldn't do what you do, yours is a critical profession and I could not handle the situation day in and out.

Anyway, Late welcome to Reef2Reef. I was going to respond in November but I got distracted doing a water change.

I've been called so many names, usually swears, but "Whisky" is an old school name that I had briefly, and lately there is an older guy who calls me Brian. I think the way our brains form associations between names and situations provoke the confusion in the elderly. I'm sure that when folks make mistakes they are recalling a nice "Rebecca" that they once knew who also had flashy hair or a quick beautiful smile perhaps?

Very Funny Oops GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are an Angel helping out others, nothing else needs to be said.

Now on the actual topic, LOL, my Mom keeps calling me Joe, who is my brother, lol!!!
LOL, I have 3 brothers. When I was young and my mom got mad, she call me all 3 names before she got mine right. Just glad she didn't go thru my 2 sisters name also.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My boss and my team.leader have gotten in the habit of calling me "dev" which is just a shortened vs of my name. Like.literally add 2 more.letters and say my name ppl! Omg. I hate it and don't know how to say so. Lol.
My boss even txt it to me.....uhg. lol.
Ty for letting me vent

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My boss and my team.leader have gotten in the habit of calling me "dev" which is just a shortened vs of my name. Like.literally add 2 more.letters and say my name ppl! Omg. I hate it and don't know how to say so. Lol.
My boss even txt it to me.....uhg. lol.
Ty for letting me vent
Boss/Team Leader: "Hey Dev"
You: "Don't call em Dev, my name is Dev**"

People call me Jay (Jason) and I immediately correct them, it annoys the hell out of me.

OP
OP
OrchidMiss

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hi Suzi!
My best high school married a Susy so maybe I'll be able to remember your name?

I am older and my memory has been failing for 20 years since I had a tramatic brain injury of some kind? Not sure if it was the insane party lifestyle or the divorce stress & court appointed separation from our daughter or just bad genetic disposition but I started noticing that it was slipping gears in my early 20's and all that to say I am familiar with being able to forget or confuse names from the very first meeting.

It is interestng (to me) that I have noticed and remember your posts here at Reef2Reef in combination with your image over OrchidMiss? How come somethings I remember and others I can't?

My wife had cancer 10+ years ago and she started having Chemo brain from the process and that has put huge stress on us here at home. I couldn't do what you do, yours is a critical profession and I could not handle the situation day in and out.

Anyway, Late welcome to Reef2Reef. I was going to respond in November but I got distracted doing a water change.

I've been called so many names, usually swears, but "Whisky" is an old school name that I had briefly, and lately there is an older guy who calls me Brian. I think the way our brains form associations between names and situations provoke the confusion in the elderly. I'm sure that when folks make mistakes they are recalling a nice "Rebecca" that they once knew who also had flashy hair or a quick beautiful smile perhaps?

Very Funny Oops GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos's Funniest Home Videos
Chemo brain is a very real thing.
Thank you for your very kind words! It is a VERY hard job. Some days we cry with the patients with joy, other days we cry and grieve with the loved ones left behind. Some days we just have to hold all of it in until we get in the car and cry uncontrollably or have a quick breakdown in the bathroom.
So I truly appreciate the recognition when it comes my way.
So, I will always smile and respond to (almost) any name I'm called at work.

I agree, that I probably remind them of someone with whichever name. So if it's someone that makes them feel comfortable, then I'm ok with it.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta say, people do not get my first name wrong, but at work with my Kindergartners through 2nd graders, I am called Mrs. H. And they sometimes call me Mrs. G or F or whatever letter they think of.

Most will not call me by my last name. It is Hore. Yes, say it as it looks. I actually took it when I married my husband. The kids are super troopers about it too. I hvae two boys and one girl. One boy and one girl still in high school. They just laugh at the jokes.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta say, people do not get my first name wrong, but at work with my Kindergartners through 2nd graders, I am called Mrs. H. And they sometimes call me Mrs. G or F or whatever letter they think of.

Most will not call me by my last name. It is Hore. Yes, say it as it looks. I actually took it when I married my husband. The kids are super troopers about it too. I hvae two boys and one girl. One boy and one girl still in high school. They just laugh at the jokes.
Write a book, called Memoirs of a Hore, and watch it hit the best sellers list...

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@DeniseAndy - the name is not important, what matters has always been the person behind that name. Good people like you and your family are so hard to find these days!

@OrchidMiss - thank you for starting this thread and reminding us what really is important!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Told my daughter the comments and she said "I like these people".

She has friends that yell, "Hey Hore" down the hall and she waves. Sometimes a substitute will freak out, but she says "it's my name, all good."

If you like the kids calling me Mrs. H. it all comes from a 5th grader that said "Can I call you Mrs. W, my mom says I cannot say that word." This after I introduced myself as my full name. I responded, "My name does not start with a W, but you can call me Mrs. H". That was then born.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back