Ever use hydrogen peroxide for algae control??

waxhawreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been having trouble with green hair algae, someone posted that they use h2o2 and i`ve been giving it a try, i shoot the algae directly with it from a syringe with all pumps etc. shut down, and it seems to work, ive been checking all levels of my tank and everything seems fine, anyone know why this would hurt the algae and nothing else??

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been doing this for years but I just dose the tank instead of directly

clownfitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been doing this for years but I just dose the tank instead of directly

Does your tank house coral, fish, anemones, snails, shrimp, etc? If so can you post your dosing regime? I'm starting to have an algae problem after the tank has been up and running for over a year.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
waxhawreefer

waxhawreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Levels are good, ammonia-0, nit-0, nitrate-o, alk-9.8, cal-450, mg-1360, I ran out of reagent for phos, but it was .04 last time, I have only 2 sps monti`s so by using red sea pro salt I do not need extra dosing for cal, I have a few mushrooms, zoas, frogspawn, torchcoral, flower pot, bubble coral,gsp, nothing seems to be affected, I first started by injecting 10ml the firstday, then 20, then 30, 40, 50, then took a few days off, when I could inject directly it definitely hurt the hair algae, but around the back of the tank where i couldnt get to I squirted in that direction, use 3% h2o2, I didnt want to dissemble my tank and soak the live rock individually like I read some guys did, I think bryopsis has a different look like larger flat blades, like in a refugium, not mine, thin long strands.

OP
OP
waxhawreefer

waxhawreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just watched the youtube video with the 30% h2o2, I do get alittle bubbles with the 3%, but nothing like that, My tank 36 with a 10 gallon sump, 2 clowns, mandarin, star blenny, 3 green chromis, 2 bangai cardinals, not affected by the h2o2.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis
images

HWDylan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used peroxide (among other things) to combat bryopsis when I first started my tank. The only thing in my tank was a bunch of snails though. I would be very careful dosing it into a tank that has fish. I have heard it is pretty hard on their gills. Corals should be fine. I usually dip new corals in a peroxide bath to help clean them off a bit before I put them into the DT.

I know h202 use to be commonly referred to as the "poor mans ozone" so it is safe to dose into a tank, I would just be very careful with the amount.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back